Hope folks don't mind me posting about a topic that's the crummiest part of teaching.

A few years back I thought I'd try and learn php and MySQL. I figured a good learning project would be an online discipline system. It was real low key - basically some security, a few forms for teachers to enter data, displays student data, and some ready to print detention forms. Anyway, my school really took to it...and now other schools in the district are starting to ask questions about using it and adding features. In short, things are getting a bit more complicated.

Which leads me to my question. Is anyone using a good online discipline system? Preferably open source? Before I start plunking more time into what I have, I'd like to know what's out there.

Many thanks!

Views: 1126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zach, we should build a Ruby-on-Rails system and make millions!!

This is intriguing. Can you tell us more? Screenshot or demo?

For ref, here are 3 systems:
D-TRAK Student Discipline Tracking System Software
PupilSafe Software - Student discipline tracking, monitoring, and ...
On Course.
ed
Ed - thank you for the links (and sorry for getting back rather late...standardized test around the corner...freak out time at the middle school).

I truly wonder if there's a demand for a good, open source system. Just based on the 2 districts I've worked for - there seems to be.

As for our school's system, I've posted a few quick screenshots online. Like I said - pretty basic. But it gets the job done. I plan on adding features (some better student tracking, monthly reports, no sure...?) this summer. But as my coding skills are very rudimentary - I thought I'd try and find if anything else is working for people.
How about some good old fashioned classroom management ideas? Read Larry Ferlazo's post:
http://inpractice.edublogs.org/2008/04/05/classroom-management/
Zach, I created a detention management system in PHP/ MySQL called Trakit. We use it everyday and it is developing into a full discipline tracking system which is searchable. The key is that it is simple to use, quick to get to what you need because busy teachers and administrators don't have time to go through multiple menu levels to get to what they need! I went through the same thing you are describing... "Anyway, my school really took to it...and now other schools in the district are starting to ask questions about using it and adding features. In short, things are getting a bit more complicated." I took the bit in my mouth and took off. Let me know if I can help. Wayne
Hi Wayne,

I'm interested in your software (Trakit). Can you give me some information ? I'm a band director at a middle school in MD and right now, we're trying something like this, albeit the 'long way' - an excel spreadsheet on googledocs.
We are doing PBIS and the school uses a system called SWIS
http://www.pbis.org/

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service