A friend of mine, who I hope joins C20 soon, asked me this question as we were preparing to present to other teachers at HATFL (Houston Area Teachers of Foreign Language) spring conference. We have decided that the resistance we see in other teachers to start integrating technology into their instruction is directly related to their inability to answer this question. Many teachers go to tech training or use technology because they are told they should or have to. Very few (at least in my district) know how and why they want to use it, much less what is availabe to them. So, I decided to start a discussion on this topic. Here is my personal response...
I use technology for:
1. Communication with my students and parents
2. To eliminate student excuses for not ever knowing what's going on in class
3. To provide interesting, current, and relevant methods for submitting or doing assignments
4. To expose my students to the Spanish-speaking world
5. To eliminate time-consuming elements on projects and etc. that take the focus off using the language and put it on artistic elements like posters and such.
6. Staying fresh and challenging myself by checking out what my peers are doing in their classrooms.
Can't wait to hear what you all have to say!