Has anybody been using the new search engine made by ex Google employees called Cuil (pronounced coo)? If so I'd like to hear what you think.

http://www.cuil.com/

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The search results have a better format than in Google but the number of pages in their database seem very small compared to Google. I noticed in my field that the search engine results mainly found those companies that use Google Adsense and completely ignored Ning and the Blogs.

Google (a coincidence?) just announced they have hit the 1 trillion web page value in their search database today.
thanks for the insight
I haven't had a chance to use it myself but I have heard from trusted sources that it is not good at all. It returns unusual results and sometimes very unrelated.
I tried it this morning, I wasn't impressed by the results. Many of my sites did not show at all!

That being said, their privacy policy is awesome. They don't log user information at all!

To me this is big. Google gets a pretty good picture of us with their search engine, and all the other "free" goodies they entice us with. I deeply distrust Google. If I hear one more person saying, "So what? I have nothing to hide," I think I'm going to lose it.

Hopefully they will improve. I want them to succeed. I'll keep checking in with them.

At this moment cuil is down.
Wow, great in depth review that really breaks down the comparison between the two. I do see that Cuil has some cool features but has a long way to go to catch Google which is to be expected this early on. I just wish it didn't have so many bugs upon this launch.
I really liked the drilldown options and the spam-free results. A promising start; I have included it in my Firefox search extensions and plan to use it in parallel with Google for a while. It is essential for the ecology of the internet that Google be credibly challenged, so I'm rooting for Cuil.
Hi, I just read about it yesterday on Vicki Davis' Cool Cat Teacher blog. She is very informative plus talked about another search engine called Northern Lights. If you don't read her blog regularly I would recommend. I can't put in the link because I am in China and blocked on that but she is easy to find.

Hope that helps a little.

Heather
Thanks, I used to use Northern Light back in the late 90's. Here is another article on Cuil. http://www.macworld.com/article/134720/2008/07/cuil.html?lsrc=rss_main

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service