The site edublog.tv has a niffy little feature. It allows you to snag youtube videos and they host an imprint of them on their site.

I tried, really tried to use teacher tube. I hosted all my k-5 student projects there-but it loads slower than syrup in winter. So I ended up putting the junior high stuff on You tube- adding ther link to my wiki and a disclkaimer about adult content in other areas of you tube-and that way parent could open you tube at home,

So on the weekend snag the you tube vid's you want to use by hosting on edublog,tv- then you can view them off edublog.tv and the kids can't get into youtube

I see this as a wiin win . You can use the vid's you want, the IT guys will be happy and as more of us snag the educational content we need, the better the site gets and more educational vid's will be available there. This past week I snagged all the school house rock vid's and they are on edublogs.
Since the site is for education there is oversite and they remove inappropriate video's similar to how teacher tube does.
here is their url http://edublogs.tv/index.php

Tags: blocking, tube, you

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the heads-up on edublog.tv site. I had found a bunch of videos in YouTube and had the urls for them but was nervous about sharing them since other video "teasers" with inappropriate content were shown/available at the urls.
How long does it take for the video to show up?
Videos load quickly...under a minute each for the ones I took from YouTube, depending on their length.
It seems pretty quick to me. This is going to be a very helpful place
Are there any plans to link edublogs.tv with blogs on edublogs.org?

I can see this as a great help for the classroom.
If I want to use a video from YouTube I just load the URL into http://zamzar.com. In a few hours (it's not instantaneous) they send you a new URL. I then can upload the videos to my students' blog or to one of my curriculum websites. Easy peasy.
I agree; I use Zamar a lot! Zamzar also does file conversions for all types of files, not just video. So when someone send you a file created in a software application that you cannot open, you can use Zamzar to convert the file to a type you can open and edit. For example, this can be very useful if a student writes a paper at home using, say, WordPerfect or Works, and bring their work back to school on a CD or Jump Drive. If the school has Word, the file might open in text editor and the formatting may be lost; I've even seen work from old computer programs be totally turned into ASCII code. Now, when we have these issues, we just upload that file to Zamzar and have it converted to a .doc (or .docx) file. Takes a little time, but definitely worth the trouble for the student's sake - and the teacher's!
For grabbing and converting video files, there is a newer site called Keep Vid - the advantage of this one is that the converted video file lands back on your desktop and you don't have to go through the e-mail loop to get your converted file. Find this one at: http://keepvid.com/
:) L.
Just tried keepvid-love it. I had never used this one before. Now if I could only get Cam studio to record audio!
Thanks for this information. We are just starting to use the internet in school (a small Catholic school) and I was concerned about our blocking software possibly blocking videos I've posted for my history class.
I use idesktop.tv which allows downloading of videos in a variety of formats.

For posting of student videos, I use VIMEO...best site for this because of the quality of videos and the community...no inappropriate videos here. But, best of all, is the embedding tool. I can post password protected videos on our blog and students can access the video on the blog--they are not redirected nor do they need to join the community to view. They do need to join if they want to download. Vimeo Plus is 59.95 per year for 5 Gigs upload per week (the free account allows 500 MB).

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service