Our school would like to begin using Web 2.0 applications with our students. We are a K-5 school. Students involved this year would be 5th graders. One of my major cautions about Web 2.0 and elementary students is keeping them safe on interactive websites. I think I would begin by using a child-centered wiki that keeps a record of each change made. I do have a lab where the classroom teacher and I can carefully watch what each student is posting. I still have trepidation about who in cyberspace might see the postings. Each child would be given a handle and would not use his/her own name.

I would like see what your thoughts are on Web 2.0 and elementary school students.

Tags: Web 2.0 and Elementary Students

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We use technology and Web 2.0 tools all the time, here's a list of our stuff. I think teaching kids how to act responsibility online is a better use of your time than worrying about who might see their work. I've been teaching for 25 years and can honestly say I have never had a bad experience by opening my kids up to webpage design, wikis, blogs, etc. Be sure you notify parents and admin about your plans and charge forth! Good luck, N
I just learned about Glogster.com, which allows you to make digital posters. Also, there is bighugelabs.com...there are tons of things there.
I'm just starting to use them this year, and still trying to figure out how to start. I'll definitely share what I find with you!
Colleen
Here are the lists of web 2.0 tools They are listed by topic on the left side bar.
Can anyone give me some tips on how to have kids log on to wikis, blogs, Voicethreads, etc. without e-mail accounts and individual passwords. Trying to set up individual accounts for all my kiddos is just too much. Any ideas for group access to online projects?
Wikispaces allows you to send bulk registrations and emails aren't required. If you have a VoiceThread account and log in to it you can set up multiple identities under it - maybe one for each class or have each student set their own identity up as they are ready to record.
Thank you Vicky. I will check out the VoiceThread site.
This problem has been discussed a lot around here, search for "student email". I think there are ways you can work around it but why don't you just embrace email, I use ePals.com Also, start small. Just have a few of your kids start at a time. Let me know if you need more specific advice. If you want to do anything with Web 2.0 tools you have to have a way to access authentication codes.
Nancy,

I have no say whether students should have email. It is the policy of the Nauset School District that elementary students should not have school email accounts. Any email exchange is through the teacher, downloading the students' contributions and then sending it.
This is unfortunate that your students interact at that grade level. We use gmail - there is a way to create an account (domain) and have many emails underneath it. Our problem is we can't monitor cyber bullying and filters are set up by the individual, not the entire domain (which would be sweet)

I do agree with Nancy's first response that a good place to start with students is: being responsible and being digitally aware. I show them archive.org to show them that the Internet 'remembers' and to be smart in their posts. Also, we build digital literacy early on - after introducing them to the tree octopus and a few other hoaxes.The level of engagement and curiosity is amazing.

Voicethread is a great tool - perhaps students can leave comments (a highlight of this tool) with their parents email account - it also draws in your parents to what you are doing. Another option is if you made an email account that students would all use. It keeps them anonymous and they have a voice.

Good luck.
Hi Mike,
Could you please link to the sites you refer to? I would be very interested in reading about the tree octopus (similar to flying penguins on YouTube?) and what is archive.org (I will look that up!). I agree with your comment about Voicethread - I have found it to be a very useful tool in maths and science.
Regards, Britt Gow.
There have been several discussions here and commentors listed a bunch of "fake" sites they use with kids to show "what you see is not always what you get".I'll check and see if I can find them..

I found them--there were several Website Reliability Teaching Unit and Having Fun While Helping Kids Decide: Can You Trust What's On The Web?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service