I am a science teacher and my wife is a Title 1 reading teacher; both of us at the middle school level. She has started to express an interest in all of the facets of technology and classroom 2.0 tools that I have been yammering on and on about. So we have hatched an idea for her classroom and I would like input from all of you.

What would it be like to have a 1 to 1 , computer to student ratio in your classroom for an entire school year? Is anyone in this situation now? What are (or would be) the pros and cons of such a situation? It seems that it would call for a significant practice overhaul on the part of the teacher.

Now for the really tough part: what would be the most cost effective way to do it? I was reading about a package for ubuntu that would make one computer serve as ten. Anyone have any ideas? It would be pretty doable if you could make 3 computers work for 30 students simultaneously...

Tags: classroom, technology

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad that I have prompted so much discussion about this! I am honestly leaning towards the desktop multiplier set-up running some version of Linux OS and other opensource apps, along with thumb drives for student portability. The key for me is the low cost of this set-up. I think we are going to write some grants, weedle some surplus equipment and essentially guerrilla-style the whole thing with a beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission type of thing. The gist is that resistance to change here is very real, but if you can do something and show it to be successful, everyone will back you. Does anyone have any specific examples of how 1 to 1 has changed their classrooms? This can be any change or experience.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service