I think I am going to have my 8th graders (and possibly 7th) set up rss aggregators and start reading some blogs of interest to them. I'm wondering if any of you have done this with your students?

Do you have a preferred aggregator for kids? It seems that for most of them the students need to provide an email address. Should I be concerned about this? I was going to let them use technorati to search for blogs. I will, of course, talk about being appropriate and remind them about internet safety. Is that enough? Do you think I need to send a letter home about this?

Thanks for your help with this.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like pageflakes. It's more graphic, and they can also import podcast feeds, links, etc.

And it has some already listed to choose from.
I think you need to read the fine print on whatever service you want to try with your students. Bloglines, for instance, requires that registrants be at least 13. Maybe Google Reader would be an option for your students; if your students get Google accounts (not the same thing as Gmail accounts) they will be able to access a variety of Google products in addition to Google Reader.

And, yes, I'd send a note home because all of this is so new to everyone!

Just my 2 cents!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service