While iPod touches are proliferating in the classroom, is anyone considering using android mobile devices (without phone subscriptions) ?
What do you think about the future of using mobile devices based on the more open source android operating system over iPod touches?
There is a debate among some of my university friends as to which device will ultimately be more useful in the classroom (they're a mixture of computer science and design folks).

Tags: android, classroom, iPod, mobile, mobiles, touch

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Elizabeth,

I chose Android over the iPhone, and am exceptionally happy with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

My interest is using my smartphone in conjunction with my SmartBoard, or with the digital projector so that we can as a class develop new ways of learning...engaging through challenging the students to use their device, as I say, "...as a tool not a toy." Already, I have grade 11 students using their devices to complete short stories, essays etc. Instead of going to a computer lab, they research using their devices - both the "i" and the android devices. There is no clear winner in according to my students that one is better than the other. While essay writing etc. is a good start, what concerns me is the interactivity. At present there is a "love affair" with anything "i." To some extent this love-in is deserved. However, I believe that anyone can use a pre-prepared program what I want to see is more challenges for students to control how and what is used on their devices. As a teacher it is easy to become seduced by the ease of use, the seamlessness of the"i." That said, my Samsung Galaxy Nexus is more powerful and flexible compared to the 4gs, and not that far off new 5g. Really, all of the devices are powerful enough for any educational task sent their way. From two months of observation in three senior classes I say once again, there is no winner from the student user perspective. 

As a teacher it is clear that there are more applications to use with the "i." It is seamless and truly intuitive. That said, there appears to be a growing number of developers willing to make cross-platform apps for the two systems. It will take some time for them to catch up. 

I am curious to learn more about how these devices are used.  Scott, would you mind if I quote you in a monograph that I'm currently working on about technology in education?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service