Now that Apple unveiled their new "toy", I was wondering what impact this might potentially have in the classroom.

I really think that there are endless possibilities when it comes for K-12 education.

Mobile Labs for El Ed can be replaced w/ easier to use iPad touch devices.  1 to 1 programs that are very expensive could become more affordable w/ the new iPad.  Finally, imagine if it could create a truly "paperless" environment where the text book is obsolete and everything is purchased through their new "app", Books.

I know all of this is bit presumptuous but w/ a new version of iWorks built specifically for the iPad and the ability to sync w/ either a Mac or PC, this provides an excellent solution for an "Office" suite.

It just seems like there are so many great things that can still be done in brand new innovative ways, such as: blogging, podcasts, browsing, etc etc.

I'm curious to what others have to think about this matter as well.

Thanks!!!

Views: 1989

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since I am running late for a class, I only have time to comment on the "paperless" environment. I don't believe that the iPad is the device to replace paper books. Due to display limitations, the Kindle is a better solution for reading. In either case, books should not be replaced unless the school is willing to supply every student with a device that the student may take home. Students need to have the ability to read information outside of the classroom, and not be penalized because they don't own the technology to do so.
There are many resources we currently use at home that students don't use at school. I don't think any reasonable educator would penalize students for not being able to afford the latest gadgets.
I brought this up because I have just recently talked to a parent that has had this happen. Students at a rural high school had some class materials presented via vodcast that they were supposed to view at home. This required students without an Internet connection at home to find a way to get to the school or library to view the material. For some of these students, the drive is very long (45 minutes each way for one student I know of). While I don't expect teachers to give up the use of technology because of this, teachers need to be aware that it does occur and make sure that there are other avenues for students to access required information.
I totally agree with you, I dont think ipads should be a device to replace books.
I think this could be amazing in the classroom. We wouldn't have to worry about novels wearing out and other texts being outdated. I can see myself carrying this thing everywhere.
I'd rather wear out a $10 novel than a $500 tech piece. I'm afraid for what it does this thing is just too high-priced for the classroom. When I can get two netbooks for the same price it just doesn't make sense.
I agree with you Alicia in that the iPad is an amazing tool that has unlimited possibilities for our students. Since receiving one of my own, I can easily understand how the book may soon become an antique so to speak, and students will have access to books, notepads, emails, blogging opportunities, etc with this device. However, in using the iPad, there are times when I simply enjoy manually turning the page in a real book. I remember reading a short story to my students decades ago entitled, The Fun We Had. It was a story about two children searching their grandfather's attic, and they came across a book. They were so amazed by this ancient form of reading and how the words actually stayed on the page even after the page was turned. Now that day is here, and although I am excited about this new digital age and all its gadgets, I am a bit frightened by what could be lost in all that excitement. Any thoughts?
Despite my concern about using such a tool in place of books, I think that there is a lot of potential one for reading material. The ability for students to highlight information, add comments, and share the comments with other students can be very powerful. With an appropriate app, it also would allow students a simple way to ask the instructor for clarification or additional information on the reading.

Collaborative authoring tools on a portable device such as this can create a lot of opportunities for student projects outside of the classroom and can bring a new level of cooperation to "group report" type projects.

Note that I avoid referring too much to the iPad. I don't think it lives up to the hype. I haven't seen anything that makes it much more than a big iPod Touch. It can still be a great tool, it's just not the big advancement that it was made out to be.
I don't see this as being the tool that you want in a classroom, especially if it is a choice in place of laptops. I run a one to one class for grade 5 students and they use their laptops (Macbooks) to create content and be producers. This device is aimed at being able to browse media (although no flash), and could be a choice for replacing books. But aren't we looking beyond that to 21st century skills, our students as collaborative producers of their learning content. This device won't enable that in a classroom. I have had an ipod touch since it came out and I see the ipad being a device very much like it, even with iwork, I think it will be too passive for a classroom.
I have to respectfully disagree.  There is so much you can do in the way of creating content on an iPad.  People who are only using it to consume are missing out.
It took a lot longer for someone to post the "IPad in the classroom" post (I expected to see it immediately after the event ) ... as for me I am hoping it ushers in the age of "Immersive Touch" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edusim ) for education

I wrote today here and on my Library Tech Musings blog comparing the Apple iPad vs.the Lenovo U1 Hybrid and the shocking news about McMillian books pulling out of Amazon??????????

Scooby says Zoinks!

All i want is a $500 tablet or netbook with an HDMI, usb, firewire, and a VGA Video out......to take to ISTE10 Denver!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service