Hi,
I've had a handle of parents ask what websites are good for their kids to use at home. I'm putting together a list of learning websites for parents that I like but was wondering if you have any suggestions. The list is for kids grades k4-8.

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but worth noting is Larry Ferlazzo's directory of sites for English language learners: larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/

Also, I recently heard Alan November speak for the first time, and thought he did a great job pointing out the value of creating a Google custom search engine for students. It's so dang easy, and it gives them a place to search for information that just searches sites that you (and/or colleagues) want them to get results from. google.com/coop/cse
You can check out ParentingPlus and Start Page they don't show you just one choice, they both introduce you to high quality websites for all academic subjects.
For the past 3 years I have been creating a site with all of the best, free interactive learning games, tutorials, virtual labs and demos online sorted by subject. I'm about to revamp the whole thing, so it might be down for a week in December, but when it's back online, it will be search friendly, and will include an expanded menu for easy browsing. It's geared for grades 4 - 10, and there's nothing inappropriate on it. You might find some links you like. http://www.teachinggems.com/
Hi Mandie - you can check out my site, TeacherRated.com which lists websites by subject including The Arts, Blogs for K-12 Teachers, Educational Games, ESL, Health and Physical Education, Language Arts, Math, Research and Reference, Science, Social Studies, Teacher Resources and Technology for Teachers.

Each listing includes a description of the resource, an indication of grade level (K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12) that it is appropriate for, a screenshot of the website and of course a link to the site. For many of the listings you can also read reviews written by other teachers about how they have used these resources in the classroom.

There's also advanced search where you can search by keyword, grade level and/or subject.

Greg
What a nice looking website! I've tried several hotlists (for teachers, kids, parents) over the years but have ended up doing what I call Curriculum Links. When we are getting ready to study a topic, I search and gather good links together. I think free surfing is a giant waste of time, so this helps focus K-6. On your website do you have a link to "Editors Picks"? I'd be interested to see what you think is the best out there.
Thanks Nancy, worked hard to make the site inviting for teachers to use. We do have Featured Picks that we change every week or so and also highlight some of our favorite sites in our blog.

What we are really hoping to do is harness the collective knowledge of teachers to determine what is the best by having them rate and/or review the listings, through these rankings the best will be separated from the rest making it easier for all teachers to find quality educational materials on the Internet (as a teacher-librarian I was always being asked to website recommendations and from this thought there might be a need for a site like this)

You can check out some of the highly rated and reviewed sites by clicking on the links.

We just started the site this school year and have been overwhelmed by the response with thousands of visitors from over 90 countries already and certainly invite everyone to share their favorite K-12 educational site(s)/blog(s), add a rating or write a review.
Thanks everybody. This was a great help!

-Mandie

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service