Dear Friends:
I've been doing some curriculum work around project-based learning recently and I need your advice. We all know PBL works best when certain conditions are in place to support it. What would you say the essential conditions are? I know teacher characteristics, intentions and methods are key, but outside the teachers and students, what else? I'm starting a list and I wonder if you might add to it. Additionally, sometimes the removal of barriers is important, too.

Essential Conditions for PBL strong implementation
  • A school culture that tolerates, even encourages, the sometimes messy chaos of student-directed learning.
  • Access to any technologies that support the teaching and learning enterprise
  • A system of accountability that causes a teacher to demonstrate --and parents and administrators to understand-- that rigorous learning aims are met though the PBL.
  • ?
Remove barriers
  • Reconsider when and where learning takes place. Structure some flexibility (oxymoron!) into the school program so spaces and time are less of a limiting factor.
  • ?

Tags: pbl

Views: 104

Replies to This Discussion

Aw shoot each time I try to share the Amazon link it fails me. Here's Lemov's book again, publisher Jossey Bass's site:
Teach Like a Champion
I looked back over Jan and I's comments and looks like neither of us discussed scheduling. Both of the school that I taught at: MN New Country and EdVisions Off Campus have flexible scheduling, meaning, they are not based on the Carnegie unit. Students are all working on an their individualized learning plan. When the founders of MN New Country started the school, they felt like the switching from class to class by following bells prohibited students from going deep into learning.

The relationships piece is met by a strong advisory system. Students (no more than 18) have an advisor that works with students as a coach. There is more emphasis put on developing a personal relationship with students, as well as figuring out what motivates them to learn. The idea is, if you can unlock the motivation and engage kids in school, the rest will take care of itself.

I know Jan's school and the two schools I taught at use Project Foundry to manage standards. Projects are assigned standards based on the proof that students give while finalizing their work with an evaluation team (made up of at least 2 teachers and 1 other staff member).

Getting students to become true independent learners is the goal. Students have to manage their time, meet deadlines, figure out their passions, what motivates them, plan for their future... There is really no shortcuts to a project. I think we call this learning ;-)
So, in order to really achieve student-centered instruction, students should be given the opportunity to design and implement their own learning. This model makes the factory-like school day schedule seem even WORSE! Especially when you throw in the fact that administrators constantly tout student-centered instruction, yet neglect to give teachers the time/resources to attempt it. I definitely believe technology is changing the system, and it looks like it will be sooner rather than later. :) Thanks for the feedback.
My takeaway: An essential condition is having individualized learning plans supported by advising and a flexible, accommodating schedule. Thanks loads Aaron.
Hello fellow PBL fans! Are we assuming the existence of a school environment which embraces "Student Codes of Conduct"? Not just the usual "no running in the hallway"; I am referring to Digital Conduct like "Assume that people are typing with kindness" and "Always, always read your messages before pressing send". I think that PBL requires collaboration - that's why I am thinking of "Digital Conduct".

What do you think? Is this obvious?
I'm very interested and envious to read the great conditions that some pbl practitioners work in with regard to collegiality, collaboration, student centered school culture and scheduling. We have none of that in the school that I work in. Or almost none. But we still manage to do some project based learning. It's not optimal, kids come not feeling very competent and not expecting to have to solve problems, persist and think for themselves to make things happen.

I guess I am reacting a little to the long list of must-haves. I agree it would be great BUT I'd hate for that list to turn people off. The kids and teachers in 'factory type schools' can still do some version of pbl. We do in our school. It's possible, especially when you are blessed with families that can help support pbl at home too. Instead of trying to revolutionize a system and community that is not ready for it, we are starting small and seeing if the idea will spread, or at least, will give those kids passing through our seventh grade a different look at science and life.

Andrea, love the idea of digital codes of conduct. Thank you for the idea.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service