As a student studying to become a teacher, one method that we have been focusing on is problem-focused learning. This method involves presenting a topic and having students find as many ways to solve the question as possible. It allows for student exploration and involves less teacher explanation. What are some ways that this method can be integrated into primary classrooms?

Views: 459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much the videos are helpful!

This reminds me a lot of the concept of "Design Thinking".  This past February, I was able to attend a seminar on design thinking and the women who led the seminar (consultants from Lime Design) focused on celebrating failure (teaching students it's okay to fail early because that's how we learn) and also on trying to brainstorm creative solutions to build prototypes.   http://www.limedesignassociates.com/case-studies/education/

Hope this helps!

Jessica

www.meandmylaptop.weebly.com

Thank you this helped a lot! We have been learning about "design thinking" within some of my education classes!

Our county has been doing a lot of work with the Critical Thinking Consortium, an organization that focuses on embedding critical thinking in to the existing curriculum.  A lot of what they talk about is "problem-solving teaching" which emphasizes the need to teach students how to work through problems rather than give them a problem and have them try to figure out the answer to the problem.  The teacher's role is to provide the structure for solving the problem such as building background knowledge and introducing strategies for thinking through the problem. 

TC2 has some free online resources such as The Thinking Teacher.  Here is the link to the April issue but you pull up back issues from this year to see different sample activities: http://www.tc2.ca/wp/april-2011/

thanks so much for the link... it was useful!
I would suggest using webquest type activities so students can use digital literacy skills to accomplish what they need to do.  They can also practice 21st century skills of researching online to solve problems or cases presented.  I would also suggest the use of group work.  When students are working in groups, they are able to discuss with their classmates' and view other perspectives.
thanks so much for the ideas... they will come in handy!
I think that this can be implemented into the classroom in every aspect. Its a great way to get students talking, and get them involved in learning. Students feed off of other students and often times find that when being told by someone in their classroom is more understanding than being told by the teacher. This technique allows independence of the students and im sure you will find your self learning quite a bit from them and what they are thinking or wanting to learn.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service