Our fourth graders are looking for Skype buddies of a similar age to chat with throughout the Spring. We are an Episcopal school in Tampa, Florida and would love to share ideas and learn about new friends in other parts of the U.S, Canada, or Mexico. (Similar time zones that would make communicating during school possible.) We have three fourth grade classes and I would like to set each class up with their own partnering class. Please let me know if you are interested.

Tags: Elementary, Skype

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brian,

I have a third grade class that have been Skyping with different countries to learn about the cultures. So far we have done England, and soon Switzerland. Sweden would be fantastic!!! There is a 7 hr time difference, but we could work it out.
Calling All teachers! We still need One more class that would like to Skype with a Elementary school in Tampa, FL. We would like to chat on Fridays some time between 10:32-11:12 EST. If this works for you or a class you know, please get in touch! We hope to make new friends in another part of the country, or Canada/Mexico, compare/contrast regions, and work on our questioning/interviewing skills.

-Charlsey, Primary/Lower Divsion Computer Instructor
I teach 4th grade students in Oklahoma, but I know nothing about Skype. I don't even know if our school allows it, blocks it, or whatever....obviously I know nothing about it. I would have loved to learn how, but I just found this post and it is February 27th. Not enough time for me to learn or plan for it. If it was easy maybe I could figure it out, but not enough time, I think. Patti
Hey Patti,

Actually if the times can work out for he both of us,maybe we can set something up for next month. I have found two classes for my fourth graders on Tuesdays to chat with, but no one for my Friday class. Skype is totally easy, but you need to see if it would be allowed in the classroom. Check and let me know wht you think. I can help you get started.
Charlsey
Charlsey, I will check to see if I can use Skype at school. Can you tell me a little more about what the students would be doing? Also, what kind of prep work would I have to do? Thanks, Patti
Well, it's very easy to use. I just had the kids Skype with another fourth grade class yesterday for the first time. I grouped them in four and fives, because it is easier to fit them in the cameras screen. Beforehand I helped them prepare questions for the other class about general things like their school, and where they live, etc. Each child took a turn asking the class a question while my entire class lisened to the answer and watched the live feed using my Epson projector. If you are allowed and you already have a webcamera, you will need to download Skype from the internet. It will prompt through the rest. Hope this helps. Let me know, I'm still looking for more buddies for my other class.
Charlsey
Charlsey, I was told today that our district policy doesn't allow the use of Skype. I am sorry. I was looking forward to doing this. I hope you find someone else. Patti
No worries, good luck with the rest of your year!
Hi everyone! I am a teacher at Terakki Schools in Istanbul TURKEY! I would like to be part of a project that we could include skype. I am an English teacher for grades 7-8 (ages13-14). The children and I are available in the lab at 13:30-14:30(CET) every Friday! Would anybody like to join me on a project? Maybe getting to know cultures. We are a prestigious private school with very eager students!
Sorry Caroline, your time difference and ages won't work for us. Good Luck!
Hi, I'm interested in your Skype project for the spring. I am the Learning Center Director at a public school in Glenwood, Il. The fourth grade classes are currently studying Illinois and would like to share via Skype, points of interest about Illinois. It would be a great learning experience if your students share facts and points of interest about Florida with us.
Hi Linda,

This sounds like a good project. We just got back from SB, sorry fo the delay. For it to work out it will really depends on how flexible you can be with chat times. Unfortunately, because I am the computer teacher and only see each group once a week at a particular time, we are looking for a specific chat time. Would either or both of the following times work for you? 8:30am on Tuesdays or 10:40am on Fridays EST.
Let me know:)
Charlsey

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service