As we finish the first semester of Spanish One I notice that there are 3-4 kids in both my classes who just don't get it. There are 2-3 in each class who have missed too many days and have no hope of catching-up. I have been tossing around the idea of creating a Spanish One class that begins at the start of Semester 2 for these kids. They would take the second half beginning in the fall at the start of semester 1. Is anyone doing this?
I realize that there are some other issues involved with creating this type class but, I would be interested to know if people are doing this.

Tags: fl

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our school has had the same problems too. Logistics didn't allow for what you suggest for us. The kids end up dropping the class 1st semester & re-taking Sp I the following year. Most of the time there is a huge improvement, maturity & study skills kick in (usually) the second time around.
We are in the same situation. It would take a huge paradigm shift for my administration to go for this. The big issue would be the idea of finishing a year without awarding the credit. We don't do half credit. I even considered double blocking the class and giving one credit but that would be too much for kids who aren't all that interested to start with and who are habitually truant.
I've been wondering the same thing!
In the past students have taken one of two approaches. Either they have dropped and took it over in the fall with success or my preferred solution is to get together with the student(s) and parents and discuss options. I have held informal after school classes to help the students catch up on what the missed and keep them up-to-date with their classmate on the new material. I will have them come in 2-3 times a week for an hour after school. If they are willing to make the effort I've had some really good results. It does require a lot of extra work on my part, but I don't mind if they're willing to put in the time, I will too. I've also set things up with the counselor, that if they are willing to redo the work from the past quarters, I've allowed them to change their grades. For some kids/parents that has been a motivating factor.
There's a part of me that thinks that the second chance thing with the grades is unfair to the kids who did the work the first time around, but my goal is that they learn Spanish, so I'll do what I can to make that happen.
Hi Fred. I am going through the same thing. I think that by differentiating instruction, I am able to keep a better track of all of the different levels within a class. Look me up on twitter. sraweltz

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service