I wanted to see what tablet pcs others are using when they provide instruction within the classroom.

I am looking at moving into using a tablet and need something that will allow me to use powerpoint, draw on images with a "pen" (in and out of powerpoint) and connect wirelessly to a video projector.

Any suggestions on tablets and wireless connections to the projector is welcomed.

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For what you are describing I use a MOBI interactive tablet. I have been very happy with its ease of use and effectiveness. The software is open architecture so are not limited to proprietary software.  It does require a connection (RF or Bluetooth) with a PC (which then can be connected to the projector via wireless connection.) The einstruction website has a variety of demos and instructional videos.
From what I have seen now, there are many tablet pcs, like Windows', and other tablet slates like Windows, Android's and even propietary ones, and then the iPads, that could be used in the classroom, each one with their pros and cons.  I have used an HP Tx2 (multi touch both resistive and capacitive), with mixed results. On the teaching/learning side has been very good at engaging my students using Classroom Presenter, a nice app from UofWashington which acts as a lecture board but everyone with a Windows tablet or netbook can follow. Problem have been the hardware: 18 months in use just after dustoff cleanup the display driver showed signs of hard failure - if the screen is not warm it will not sync and the screen display is garbage but after heating the back of the display with a hair dryer or heat gun it is OK-.  I recently got a Dell Inspiron Duo, the one that tilts the screen upside down, but it is only capacitive.  I found resistive screen had been excelent to use the tablet was a digital whiteboard projected on the screen. Capacitive screen, which are now in iPads and most Android tablets, have strong limitation with respect to accuracy.  So I got my self two precision -and costly- styli, one the AccuPen P504 from DAGi (www.dagi.com.tw) the Jot Pro from Adonit (www.adonit.net). I found that Classroom Presenter doesn't work as nice with the capscreen and styli as it was with the HP's resistive screen, but another FREE utility called Lessonpad (www.lessonpad.com) worked wonders with these styli reproducing a nice sharp writing that I had with the bulky and expensive convertible tablets (HP Elitebook, Fujitsu Lifebook, Lenovo Thinkpad XT's) in my Duo. Lessonpad is almost barebones but has nice features like a header for lesson, teacher, etc info, and a toolbox you call from the frame. I am still exploring it but it does not have the adhoc classroom network CP has and it may take a few extra steps to save every screen writing. I have yet to try an Android tablet, and I am not sure about the whiteboard apps for iPad yet, will see them as I have time. So there is my recommendation: a Dell Duo ($500-600) a precision capacitive stylus (DAGi P504 or Adonit Jot Pro), and Classroom Presenter or Lessonpad, to start.

Rick,

I noticed your post and wondered what progress you had made since August. I'm an accounting and advanced taxation  lecturer based in the UK and I'm just about to start on the same road as you. I'm about to purchase a Tablet PC for the 1st time and I'm looking into packages such as Dyknow and Ubiquitous Presenter to enable me to move from the traditional PP lecture style, which is limited. I'm also considering using a Wacom device first just to get a feel for the change.

Any help or advice that you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

Sorry that it has taken me a while to log back in and check this posting.  I didn't get any notification that I should have responded to, so I just happened to come up my earlier post.

Not sure if you were able to decide on which tablet to purchase, but I ended up Purchasing the Fujitsu Q550 tablet.  It is a Windows 7 tablet that works perfectly for my needs.  The features that I really like:

- it's small

- has a tethered pen that allows me to draw on the tablet while I use it during lecture (I use it with Classroom Presenter)

- the accessory hand strap that is available (allows me to carry it around in class without the fear of it slipping out of my hands)

- Windows 7

The only real issue that I do have with it is the processor speed.  I knew about this and I am overall happy with the tablet.  I am hoping that Windows 8 will help with this.

Sorry for not getting a response earlier.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service