In my district we're looking for recommendations for wiki software. We've used hosted solutions such as WikiSpaces, PBWiki, WetPaint, etc. We're looking for something that we will host with some of the same features such as these ease of use, attractive interface, education-friendly, etc. Free or for purchase.

Requirements:

1. Install and run on our server in district
2. WYSIWYG editing
3. Page history
4. Ties to LDAP or ActiveDirectory for single sign-on

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tags: software, wiki

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you looked at Mediawiki? It's the open source wiki that Wikipedia uses.
Thanks April. Yes, I have installed Mediawiki and found that it was not especially easy to use from a teacher's point of view. I don't remember exactly what it was but I don't think it had a WYSIWYG editor.
It doesn't have a very nice one and the learning curve can be steep. You may try opensourcecms.com which allows you to fiddle around with several open source wikis before you download.

One not included yet, either here or on opensourcecms.com, is XWiki. I have not tried this one myself but it looks very promising.

Best~
April
Hi, and thanks for the reply. Haven't tried MoinMoin, but I'll give it a look. BTW the link doesn't work.
Worked for me, too. Thanks again.
I recommend Tikiwiki. I love it and it fits your requirements.

It takes a bit of technological know how to get it set up. But end user experience (creating pages, uploading files, using a WYSIWYG) seems pretty easy.

To see how I used it in schools: http://zjvv.net/gradwork/portfolio/tikiwiki.php
Thanks Zach. Your wiki looks great. I think we can handle the installation on our Linux server. Much appreciated.
Thanks Jeff. I agree Moodle is terrific. We have it installed on a server and have several middle and highs school teachers using it. Like you, I am a teacher and I "paved the way" by setting Moodle up on a Linux server, and once it was clear that there was sufficient interest the IT department set it up on one of our primary Apple X-Serve servers. Go for it!
It does, but each wiki is limited to use within a particular course. So, if I had a course on 20th Century Drama, the wiki would could only be used in that course. When version 2.0 comes out, it is supposed to have improvements to the wiki and blog components.
It does. But it's not very good.

Moodle 2.0 will have a major wiki upgrade (based on NWiki). I believe 2.0 comes out in February.
Good luck with your Moodle Jeff. I agree re limitations of current Moodle wiki though. Moodle 2.0 and its improved wiki will only be in beta in Feb (at the earliest) and summer for stable release, so I guess that's a way off yet.
Hi Tom
Newbie replying here but have you tried wix -trialled it as online portfolios with my kids this year and it is easy as-drop and drag but very easy to integrate utube, facebook whatever. My kids are 11-12 yrs old and most had no trouble -some excellent interactive sites created using wix. More than wetpaint but adaptable.
Cheers jenny

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service