Search either Classroom 2.0 (there is a Google Classroom 2.0) on the right hand side of the page) or the Center for Media Literacy for a resource or lesson plan you might consider using in your future classroom. 

1.      1.  Describes the activity or resource.

2.      2. Link me to the activity or resource.

3.     3.  Find and post a West Virginia CSO for that you might meet by using the activity or resource in your future classroom.

Views: 278

Replies to This Discussion

http://connections.smsd.org/veterans/introduction.htm
This is a lesson and activity I found while searching THe Civil War. I found a classroom of 5/6 th graders who did an extensive study on World War II. This is a topic which is interesting to me, because I had family members who fought in it. The teachers, Mrs. Bosch and Mrs. Wimmer, were able to locate more than sixty veterans who lived in the county and several surrounding counties and 53 of them were able to participate in the project. The class brainstormed to come up with possible interview questions and decided on a list that was sent to the veterans before the interviews. Each student was given the opportunity to spend up to two hours with their veteran(s) and hear stories about their experiences relating to World War II. So that the student could concentrate on what the veteran said, an adult secretary was present to take notes and tape the stories. Volunteers then wrote and edited them for publication. Each student wrote a reflection essay and answered the question "How has my world view changed since my study of WWII?" They also chose a WWII-related topic and constructed an "Information Search". This was a great opportunity for these students and one in which I hope to have in my own classroom. The fact that these students got to spend quality time with one of these veterans was in itself a learning opportuniy. War does not mean as much when you read it in a book, but when seen through the eyes of someone who lived through it was immeasurable.
SS.O.6.5.12 -cite the global tensions that led to the outbreak of WW I and WW II and give examples of the impact each war had on selected regions of the world.
SS.O.6.1.1 explain the ways in which nations interact with one another and try to resolve problems.
SS.O.6.1.3 explain how nations benefit when they resolve conflicts peacefully.
SS.O.6.2.2 analyze and explain how various types of government meet the needs and wants of citizens, manage conflict and establish security.
SS.O.6.2.3 analyze the impact of strong leadership on historic world events.
21C.O.5-8.1.LS1 - Student, when presented with a problem, identifies the information needed, uses text, people, online databases and search engines to filter relevant information efficiently, analyzes information for biases, synthesizes information gathered and creates an effective and efficient response to the problem.
21C.O.5-8.1.LS2 - Student interprets abstract visuals and creates products (e.g. digital storytelling) that reflect a growing understanding of visual language and require the effective use of tools (e.g. cropped photos, original charts and graphs, well-chosen images from databases, video clips).
21C.O.5-8.3.LS4 - Student demonstrates ethical behavior and works responsibly and collaboratively with others, in academic and social contexts, to accomplish both individual and team goals related to improved academic, extracurricular and co-curricular performances.
This is a fantastic resources and a great example of an activity you might have your future students do!
http://realworldmath.org/Real_World_Math/SketchUp.html

I found realworldmath.org through my search on Google Classroom 2.0. This site ofers many activities aside from the one I have listed here, ranging from concepts, to project based learning, to exploratory activities. I like this particular activity as it asks the students to measure a specific building, such as their school or house, and then make a 3-D rendering, to scale, with the program provided. This allows for a real world connection while still reinforcing some of the fundamental concepts. One C.S.O. that this satisfies is:

M.O.G.3.9
identify a real life situation that involves similarity in two or three dimensions; pose a question; make a hypothesis as to the answer, develop, justify, and implement a method to collect, organize, and analyze related data; generalize the results to make a conclusion; compare the hypothesis and the conclusion; present the project numerically, analytically, graphically and verbally using the predictive and analytic tools of algebra and geometry (with and without technology).
Perfect standard for this activity!
I found an applet that is the equivalent of Battleship. You have to find a "Hurkle" hiding among the grid by guessing (x,y) coordinates. When your guess is plotted, there's a compass in the top right hand corner that tells you which direction you need to go.

I would use this as extra practice when introducing graphing with my students. The CSO I found that I would supplement with this activity is M.O.4.3.5: graph/plot ordered pairs on a first-quadrant grid and use the coordinate system to specify location and describe path (4th grade).
This sounds fun! I think students will like it!
1. An interesting article or resource I found through the Center of Media Literacy was titled Listening to the Beat of World Music, which discusses how interest in a culture’s music can spark an interest to looking deeper into this culture. With the passing of Michael Jackson this past year brought to light how his music not only impacted the United States but other commonly less known nations. His songs like “We are the World” and “They Don’t Care about Us” brought to light the troubles that other nations were facing that we may have not know of. During his time Michael Jackson was very influential and for him to use these countries to inspire his music, people listened. With the older groups of students they are beginning to understand how music is an expression of emotions so to look at music from different parts of the world would be interesting. This link offers an activity for students to explore new music and types of music by providing them several artists that are less known in our country. Ask them to simply look at the appearance of the record and if the lyrics are translated and included. Research the artist and listen to the music, does it reflect life in the area it was created and sold. Finally what do we know about the area and how is it viewed today.
2. http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article104.html
3. RLA.O.4.3.1 listen and respond to different literary forms and speakers (e.g., summarize and paraphrase to confirm understanding, recount personal experiences, listen to information and exhibit comprehension, provide reasons in support of opinions, respond to others’ ideas).
SS.O.K.5.3 research the past through stories of people, heroes, pictures, songs, holidays, customs, traditions and legends and explain the differences in other people, time and cultures.
MU.O.GM3-5.4.5 interpret foreign language songs from global cultures.
I personally interpreted this CSOs, I just looked at different content and grade levels. There may be others that our more appropriate.
Great way to integrate literacy and music! You should think about doing this for your PBL activity latter on in this class!
I would implement an idea I found on Classroom 2.0. It goes along with what we have been discussing in class. It incorporates technology, interactive learning, and various cultures across the country and world. The idea is to perform activities that resemble your culture and use Skype to share this with other classrooms around the globe. PE AROUND THE WORLD

Standard:3
Physical Activity (PE.S.3)

(PE.S.3)
Students will exhibit a physically active lifestyle that provides the opportunity for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.

Objectives
Students will
PE.HS.3.03
identify and describe local, state, national, and/or international fitness and recreational resources and organizations.

PE.HS.3.04
assess the social/economic factors that impact physical activity.
This is a very cool idea! We should think about developing it for you PBL. You should show it to Dr. Crislip Tacy. She would love it!
http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/casestudy/lessons_activities/L...

Considering we've been talking about how to incorporate culture into our classroom I thought this five session lesson plan would be great for doing that. These lesssons not only teach on how to dance but also allow the students to be creative with thier own dance. I think you could incorporate this into hisotry and how past cultures used dance.

D.O.LI.7.3
identify and discuss commonalities and differences between dance and other disciplines with regard to fundamental concepts such as materials, elements and ways of communicating meaning.
This is so interesting and creative! I would love to see it in action!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service