My copy of the book is highlighted and sticky-noted beyond belief so I thought another good discussion thread to start would be some of your favorite quotes from The Book Whisperer. Please feel free to share and comment!

"Building a trusting relationship with students is easier when you expect them to do the right thing instead of assuming that they are not." -Pg. 67

Tags: book, donalyn, miller, quotes, reading, teachers, teaching, whisperere

Views: 231

Replies to This Discussion

I just put this book on hold at my public library. Hopefully I'll get it soon to discuss it. I've read lots of good references to it but I thought it was mostly geared to high school.
Love this line on page 75:
"...it is important for my students to see their ideas and their words--not someone else's--hanging on our walls..."

Recreate those anchor charts every year, teachers. Don't laminate them. :-)
Me, too. I just picked up it up at my public library. Started reading a little bit yesterday and I can tell it's going to be a good one. I feel like we're kindred spirits.
Yes, me too! Can't wait to hear some of your thoughts as you read!
Pg. 32 "...my primary aim was to instill the life habits of readers in all of my students..."

Love the words "PRIMARY" and "ALL" in that one.
"The reality is that you cannot inspire others to do what you are not inspired to do yourself." Pg.118

This entire chapter (Chap 5: Walking the Walk) reminds me of a post I wrote just about a year ago.
http://www.classroom20.com/profiles/blogs/aliterate-teachers

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service