I am an ESL teacher and I have to deal with Guided Reading for grades 1st, 4th and 5th. I am having problems with my first grade because sometimes I think I am not using the right strategies. I'd like to have a guide where I could follow the right steps to teach guided reading. I have read Guided Reading by Gay S. but it is confusing to me. I have a question related to running records in Guided Reading. What can you do with those words students sub, omit , or teacher told. I have been making students repeat and write sentences with them. This is for 4th and 5th grades. Is it right or wrong?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Manuel,

I am a retired special ed teacher who makes a webpage with instructional resources for students. I'm not sure exactly what the current meaning of "guided reading", but if you are stumped with what to do with the words the students make errors on, you may want to look at: http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books/Alphabet/ .... This is an index page that lists stories that provide six words for each letter of the alphabet, which can be personalized to each student. After you look at a few of the stories, you should have an idea what a Pictionary is or can be. At the bottom of the table is a link to the Pictionary. You can choose enter the child's name and which beginning letter it falls under, print the page, and have the students enter the missed word on the appropriate page of the pictionary. The MUSt draw a picture for the word (even if it is a word like "saw", have the children draw a picture that will remind them what the word MEANS. If you create a full pictionary for each student, it will be easier to insert any missed words on the proper pages.

In my experience, having the student write the word, draw the picture and THEN write the sentence or two was beneficial in their learning the word.

If the Pictionary (which can be put between paper covers, in a report binder, or a ring binder, does not suit your classroom, you can have the child use index cards. Put the word on one card and the picture on the other. Use the cards to play "concentration" in which the child starts with a group of the pairs of cards turned face down, turns them up one at a time and tries to find the match. If the match isn't found, turn the card down, and try another. When the students can turn all cards paired to the pictures, they will have learned the words.

With upper elementary and high school students, the Pictionary book was an interesting project for the student. For hte first graders, the index cards may be more effective.

I used this method to help students learn words for more than a decade with excellent results.

You may also want to use the Alphabet books with the first graders, and give them a try with the older students and see how they are received. Most of the words in each story are pretty constant, so that the child focuses on learning the six words that begin with that letter.

Let me know how this works for you, and if there is anything I can add to the site to help.

You may also want to check out all the personalized books on: http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books ...

Wishing you the best in your efforts!
Thank you very much. I check the pictioanry and it is a fantastic idea. Guided reading is a group of students reading a book according to their levels of reading A-Z. The groups should be from 3 to 6. The rotations are from 15 to
20 minutes.The teacher is with them at the time of reading.
Manuel,

I am so glad you like the Pictionary. I think you will enjoy using it with your students.

Guided Reading is the same as it was in the past, and I assume that the groups of students who are not reading with you at the time, are doing something else, which could include working on their pictionaries. In addition to using the words they miss in reading with you, the children can also collect other words that interest them in the pictionary. You can print as many pages as you want for any letter. Some letters, like "X", just don't have a lot of words that begin with it, but other letter like "b" and "d" have many words. You can adjust the Pictionaries according to your students' needs.

Another method I saw that was effective inccluded pairing the students to read to each other. In this method (name forgotten), the students read one story a week, and read each story up to ten times with someone signing off that they had heard the child read it. You will sign off for the first reading so you can note the missed words. The partners sign off for 2 or 3 readings, and the children take the books home and have someone at home listen to them read. Since your students may not have many Enlish speakers at home, you may want to be sure they have more chances to read in the classroom before taking the book home.

Be sure to check out more of the books I have written that are on the site: http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books . The First Readers are very easy stories about everyday things, with only one or two lines of print per page. They would work well with your first graders. The History Hat series will appeal to the older students, and incorporates learning some history along with the reading. One class whose teacher reads the History stories to a Kindergarten class every week, had the children make their own "magical history hat", which they put on when listening to the stories. This may be fun for your children, to make the History Hats to wear during reading. There is also a Georgraphy story (actually a song to learn about the continents), and two stories based on Folk Tales that include a magical hat that spirits the child away to the time and place of the story.

Best of luck with your students!

Anne
Anne,

Once again thanks a million.You are helping me a lot. Those methods for reading are great. This weekend I will check your books.
Manuel
Manuel, I think that this is a great question. I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that in association with Classroom 2.0 we have just started another social community designed for teachers to post questions about content. The address is, http://teachingcontent.ning.com/. It's really hard to get these communities off the ground and I think that this posting would work really well on this type of a site. I hope it's Ok that I've made reference to it.
Andrew and Anne,

Thank you. Today I watched one of my reading advisers dealt with a Guided Reading rotation,and he used some useful strategies at the time of dealing with first graders. One of them, and I think the best one, was to cover the text of one of the pages to make students guess what the text is. They read the first page, then from that info and the pictures they get the next page text. Apart from I think my adviser, who I think he is good at, was not as deep as I was expecting.
Nothing on running records but it will come. One more time, thanx.

Manuel.
Manuel,

I can understand that you want your advisors to show you how to keep a running record, but in reality the running record is NOT your goal. Your goal is the reading of the student.

I am familiar with the method your advisor used of having the students read a page and then anticipate what will happen next. At the moment the name of this method escapes, but since you have seen it, the name is really not important.

There are folks who believe the keeping good records of the progress of your children is important, but I am not one of them. What you are trying to do is help the children read so that they understand what is in print. The pretty charts you fill out are not really that important. Think about it! When the student is reading well and going about their business, will ANYONE care what is recorded on the charts? No. The child is the center of your instruction, not the charts you keep.

Anne
Anne,

You are nothing but right. The child is the center. Forgive my spelling of advisor. That was for my own running records, LOL.
Manuel,

I tend to judge most misspellings as "typos". I am far more used to reading stuff written by student with errors in it, and I tried to concentrate on them getting their thoughts expressed more than the spelling correct!

BTW, for your youngsters, you may want to know that I have just had my first "real book" published (in addition to the many books that are online free). It is called "Rooftop Rescue: The High Adventure of Sara the Pineapple Cat" at: http://www.sarathepineapplecat.com . In the story, this yellow and white stripped kitty friskily climbs up to the porch and roof of the house before she realizes the roof is too slippery to get down ....

Give my love to your students!

Anne

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service