Hello, I thought this would be a great place to introduce myself and share with you a new web resource that I developed over the Christmas period designed for K-12 educators.

To give you a little background, I work in the IT department at a school in Melbourne, Australia. Having moved into an e-Learning Developer position, I basically manage our Moodle and other e-Learning systems, as well as train staff in their use. I've always been a big advocate of web 2.0 tools, and am constantly looking at ways of both sharing these technologies and introducing them as part of the curriculum. It looks like this community appears to have a similar philosophy which is great.

As a result of this, I developed Edutagger, a K-12 social bookmarking site. Obviously it's very new, but i'm looking to promote it as much as possible so that the kinds of resources that we'll find will be of higher quality and relevancy. The system resembles Digg more than say del.icio.us, as it uses a voting system to determine what ends up being displayed on the front page.

It would be fantastic if you signed up and "edutagged" anything you find interesting (Classroom 2.0 is already on there). It's important to get enough users to achieve a kind of "critical mass" that allows the users to promote relevant content of higher quality. If you don't have anything to add, feel free to look at the New Links section and "edutag" anything you find interesting, as this will help as well. Feel free to forward Edutagger to any colleagues that may be interested, the more users we have the more we all benefit.

I'd love it if anyone would like to share their thoughts on Edutagger. I've already received some valuable feedback and made some changes.

Tags: 2.0, bookmarking, edutagger, social, web

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks nice. I've only got one question.

I'm often afraid my students will look at the front page of del.icio.us when they're checking out my del.icio.us links. Some of the links on the front page are, well, in bad taste. Those links get to the front because they're popular.

Do you have a plan to prevent your own front page from being overwhelmed with inappropriate links? If you do, then you could easily become more popular than other tagging sites, at least with teachers.
Hi James,

To answer your question, i'd say that links that are in bad taste aren't likely to make it to the front page because of the very nature of Edutagger, K-12 educational resources, and will not attract the kind of users that will post these kinds of links. In addition to this, given that it's a user-driven system, appropriate links will be promoted to the front page and inappropriate links will be removed collaboratively.

In other words, in order for something to appear on the front page that's inappropriate, it needs to be 1) posted in the first place by someone looking to make trouble, 2) collaboratively "edutagged" (voted for) by other users, and 3) not removed by users collaboratively or by administrators. The chances of these 3 things happening are not very high.

I actually launched an earlier version of Edutagger last year using a different backend system (not as user-driven), but was overwhelmed by spammers. I've actually only had 1 instance of a spammer with the new system, and those links never made it to the front page.

I hope that answers your question :)

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service