At the end of next week I will be accompanying the adminsitrative team for my school district to meet with Apple computer execs. We are tossing around the idea of switching to Apples in our district. I've developed several questions to ask the represenatives we meet with, but want to open my thinking to what questions others would ask in this position.
So, if you got to ask Apple computers questions about introducing Apples/Macs into your school, what would you ask them? What do you view as important answers to have when making this switch? I did not include the hardware questions (server compatibility, etc.) because my job is to focus more on the educational aspects of using technology.
Here are my questions (K-5)/training area I'm responsible for:
1. During the K-1 years, students are just getting acquainted with computers and their parts, what benefits would Macs provide that couldn’t be provided using a PC?
2. What software/hardware do you see applicable to a K-2 environment?
3. One of the concepts that has impressed me over the past few months is Apple’s dedication to training. In what ways would you be able to mesh your training program with our eMINTS training that our 3rd through 5th grade teachers are currently going through?
4. A key component of the eMINTS program is collaboration. What unique tools does Apple offer regarding teacher collaboration at both the grade level and through vertical teams?
5. eMINTS is a proven best practice that has shown an increase on the MAP Test, Missouri’s standardized test, of 5 to 6 points. How will purchasing Macs and the Apple brand help compliment this proven best practice?
6. The ACOT was completed in 1996. How does Apple conduct and improve on this research project 10 years later? What tools are currently used to assess Apple’s educational practices? Are there any plans to develop an ACOT 2 or something along those lines to identify changing practices and/or needs within the classroom?
7. Changing from PCs to Macs would require additional training of our staff. What is the typical amount of time it takes someone who is familiar with a PC environment to adjust and become proficient with a Mac?
8. I've been working closely with the Music Teacher at the elementary. What vision would you have for an "Apple Music room" in our district? Art?
9. A significant part to instructional technology is making sure the equipment is functional and reliable. What statistics do you have proving that Apple's product is dependable in an educational setting?