Hi - I am wondering how to start a blog in my 5/6 classroom. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Erin:

Hi! You might start by reading through the posts that are categorized by tags that you can access under "More Information" on the right side of the page here. That should give you a good start. There's also a lot of information at the www.supportblogging.com wiki.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve is right, search this site for "elementary blogs" and you'll find lots of info. My advice-- decide why you want your kids to blog, get permission from parents and start small. You'll have a better start if you choose 8-10 excited kids then add others. You can see our class blog (4-6) here.
Hi Erin, our students from years 4-10 have started blogs using edublogs this year. Their first post was setting 5 goals for the year. They then created a page 'about me'. I teach Info Tech to them, but I find students will voluntarily put up posts now of some of their English work etc or journal entries of what is happening in their lives. Sometimes I put a post on my blog and ask the students to reply to that post. Various interested teachers from our school will visit their blogs and add comments so someone is always keeping an interested, yet watchful eye on them. When we first started we had one common blog with me as sole adminsitrator. I still think this is a good approach initially and then when everyone is comfortable move onto the individual blogs. Nancy's advice of starting 'small' is great.
Students saved posts in their folders from whence I retrieved them and copied them onto the classroom blog. See www.backyard.globalstudent.org.au However, they now, all have individual blogs with joint administrative rights with me. They can be found by following the RHS links at www.murch.globalteacher.org.au I find that students really love using this medium and it provides for some powerful learning outcomes.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service