Interesting article about Second Life and the potential harm that may comes towards children.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-online-predator-alert-...

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More FUD from the people who want you to think they're looking out for you and yours.

DOPA is still dopey - and it doesn't matter where it's targeting.
Online is not really any different than offline, there is potential harm coming at children all the time, from all different sources. The only thing that can be done, is to try and educate them about the dangers that exist. I think it is a good idea to have controlled uses of these things, as they are accessing them outside of school anyways! Hopefully if we educate them on the proper use of these services, they will not get into the troubles that they surely would if we ignored these at school, and they go out on their own and find out the hard way! It is no different than teaching children not to talk to strangers, etc. (While online you may converse with someone you know, it is important that we teach children what is appropriate and OK and what is NOT. Also how to recognize someone who may be out to do them harm, and how to report it to someone - not any different than spotting the person "lurking" around the school yard, and reporting them to an adult).

Just my 2 cents worth!
I agree with you. If we teach students how to use the resources found on the internet correctly, it would stop some of the problems that arise.
Thanks for bringing this article to attention.
I read it and here are some observations:
I am working on the development of a startup for kids. In my efforts I am doing everything I can to learn about the worlds, networks and virtual worlds, MMOG etc kids are using. So part of my job is to join these networks and games. I submit the details I am required by the system tosubmit. Which means, that in some networks, I need to change my date of birth to a teen. Of course I only observe, but the fact remains that I am an adult with access to kids' worlds.
More over, I am suspicious by nature and when my kids want to join any MMOG I want to see what's in it, what are the activities and how are the dialogs. I think it is my right as a parent and I would have preferred it if all kids' worlds will enable adults' access for the purpose of observation (not participation). In fact, having this "back door" is a safety measure in my view.

As for net-risks for kids - those are not different from risks on the street. On their way home from school. Or to the afternoon activities. Unlike on the street, on the network you can shut up a line of communications with whoever you don't like. So I think it's a lot safer than walking to school in some places... All you need to do is teach your kids to say no, in the appropriate way and medium.
1. Most of Anti-Web2.0 and Anti-SecondLife come from Neo-Ludism.
1.1 Ludism is the anexity of age 30+ from loosing their control on the Other (Big O, like Lacan).
1.2 The other can be our child, our student, or our slave
1.3 We want to keep talking in our "Discourse of the Master"

2. Web 2.0 and Life 2.0 (Second Life) are user generated content, and user generated reality
2.1 The Long Tail of web2.0 entail Democracy2.0, The Direct Democracy
2.1.1 Obama Campaign with 1.5 Million activist which donnor direct mony to Obama campaign, is the alternative to Olmert-Bibi-Barak (Ehud not Obama).
2.1.2 All wii (Nintendo2.0) need is love and Transparency
FUD all the way ... why stop at Secondlife .... just say the Web in general if FUD is your thing
I like the way the BBC does their kids social network " My BBC". They have a kid friendly sign in where they have the kids use a silly made up name. They can add friends to their friends list if they know their friends "made up" name. I would like to see an educational Second Life Island where everything was G rated . Perhaps educators could be site monitors. For right now- I just don't use second life with my Junior High kids

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service