I've been holding back on working with elgg for the past few months because the developers have been working on a vast overhaul of how it works. Elgg is a free and open source social networking application for education that has many similarities to MySpace.

I just got into their test installation to help them iron out all the bugs. I must say I am impressed. I never quite "got" how elgg works until they gave me a user login. I always viewed it from an admin role before.

The developers hope to release the code in less than two weeks--presumably as beta software. I hope to have my own deployment in time for school in September. I'll continue to reflect on my experiences on my blog. You will find more links and information there.

Steve

Tags: elgg, networking, oss, social

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok Steve, it's clear, thanks.
Concerning what I mean about rignt banner : I want to know how to manage the advertising banner on the right side of a Ning web site ? How to manage the adwords on the right side... Thanks.

Thierry
I believe Ning manages the adwords--probably what pays to keep sites like this running. It is my understanding they will suspend adwords on educational sites for students.
If you pay for the service to run your own ads on Ning, you can then choose not to run any--as we have done here. With or without the ads, you have the ability to customize your right column from the "features" page.

Ning provides free ad-removal for student-centered Ning networks for students in grades 7 - 12.

Good discussion, Steve!
With the July changes with ning networks, how does this effect student-centered Ning networks for students in grades 7 - 12?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service