Know a 5th Grade Teacher Teaching Civics During the Election?

Dear Classroom 2.0 Friends:
Know any grade 5 teachers interested in collaborating on the planning of a civics and presidential elections project? Please send them my way. jane.krauss(at)gmail.com. Crista Lawson, lead teacher on this project, and I have set up a wiki page where we can organize our best thinking: Address: http://reinventingpbl.pbwiki.com/Crista%27s+US+Election+Discussion
Password: rpbl
This interaction could be anything from a 'critical friends' examination of each other's ideas for teaching during the election season to planning for a collaboration that encompasses understanding of US regions, local polling, and a mock election.
If you are interested I'll be hosting a Wednesday July 30th skype call at 10:00 a.m. pacific. My skype account is jkrauss1989. Feel free to make me your contact.
Please add your ideas to the wiki, invite others, in general start thinking about what is critical for kids to know and do as a result of studying civics during this election year (and how to make it fun!)

Tags: collaboration, election, socialstudies

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your invite. The project sounds like fun! Although I'm in a university setting now there might be a way I can help with museum contacts. I'm sorry I missed the skype today as I just now logged in for the week. I'll enter the wiki space and add my name if that's ok. I'll also send you a posting on teaching our children civics. Great idea - I'm looking forward to seeing it develop!

Blanca :)
Welcome, Biana-- I'm interested in kids studying past elections too, so any museum sources of memorabilia would be fun to study. Thanks for adding to the wiki. Please make me a skype contact. We'll meet in another week or so, stay tuned.
Hi All,

I think this is a great idea and welcome all new thoughts. This is my first year teaching 5th, however; I have a wall dedicated with a U.S and HI. (Obama) map, with plans of tracking the election, current events, mock election and rewriting the constitution on paper they make themselves.
These are my plans this far, if you have any suggestion, ideas and yes the past elections would be a great place to start, please let me know.

Thanks,
Hajji

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service