I am so network illiterate that I don't really even know what to ask so I'll try to describe our current setup and what we are trying to accomplish. We currently have a wired network in the computer lab and one wireless router which connects 3 computers in the school office - the computer lab is right next door to the school office.

I am trying to research what I would need to connect the rest of the classrooms in to the network wirelessly. We would need the 21-22 computers in the lab plus 2-3 in the office plus probably any 4 or 5 others to be able to all access the Internet at the same time if possible so that a classroom could be on the Internet at the same time we were using it in the lab and the staff in the office was using it too.

We are a small school with one 2 story building that has 9 classrooms (one of these is the computer lab on the lower floor) and the school offices and one 1 story building with 6 classrooms which is across a small expanse of lawn from the 2 story building. I don't have exact dimensions of the grounds and buildings at this point.

I know what we have is not powerful enough to let those in the 1 story building connect in because we've attempted this with a laptop in the past and couldn't get a signal. I'm not sure if it's even powerful enough to allow the upstairs classrooms to connect in.

What do I need to know in order to determine what equipment we need to purchase? Suggestions anyone? And do you have any idea what something like what we would need would cost?

Tags: network, wireless

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vicky,

While I do like wireless, I think that it is important to have a good wired infrastructure first.

What I would recommend is getting at least one category 5 or preferrabally cat 6 drop (connection, port) to each classroom. The wiring in a lot of cases can easily be done by a maintenance person or even staff or volunteers. Then you can have a professional (or someone who knows how) come in and terminate the cables.

You should have a "closet" or "MCR" (Master Communication Room - I think, but basically just a location for all the wiring to go to). This could even be the computer lab, with a rack.

Depending on how far away your one building is from the other, will determine what you can do there. You can buy pre-terminated fiber optic cables and bury some conduit between the buildings and depending on how far it is and who you have bury the conduit, it may be affordable. You might also be able to use cat 5 cable if it is close enough (there is a 100 meter (~300 feet) limitation).

Once you have a wired infastructure, you could put a wireless router anywhere you have a port, which will allow you to be able to use wireless much more reliable. The more Wired ports you have, the better and more versatile your network will be.

I think you could have this professionally done for under $5,000 and probably much less if you can have volunteers do some or most of the work.

You might want to have someone come in and give you proposal on what you would need to do. Most companies will give you a bid or proposal on how they would solve your problem for free (a lot of time, they almost design your network, you just need to know where you want the wires to terminate).

If you have any questions or need any other help, please let me know, as this is the stuff I enjoy the most!

paul
$5000 might as well be $50,000 since we have no budget. I was trying to come up with some way to get teachers Internet access without having to wire it all. It sounds like that's not the best idea though. I'll run this buy the principal.

Thanks so much for the information. I didn't have anything to do with the initial set up of things in the lab and the network that was set up originally so I'm not even sure who to get in to do a proposal. I'll have to see if we have paperwork from the original set up.
Vicky,
I am all too familiar with your problems, money was my problem for many years. The 5,000 was a do everything type approach (well almost). But depending on where you are located (city or rural are), you may be able to get parents or businesses to help. I know of schools that bought the wire (or had it donated) and parent volunteers and teachers did the work on a weekend or weeknight, under the supervision of a "computer geek". So it is very possible to do something for hundreds of dollars. Do you have any parents that are "computer geeks" or in the computer field, if so, maybe you might want to have a talk with them. You may also want to see if there are any computer user groups in your area, they are usually looking for some good causes and causes that can get some publicity. Who knows there may be someone just waiting to help. I know if you were in my area, I would be more than happy to help!

There is always something that can be done, so don't give up. Where your switches/routers are now, is where you probably want to make you main closet. It doesn't matter who put in what you have now, as anyone who understands it a little will be able to figure it out in a hurry. All you really need is a network wire from the main switch, to the room(s), as long as you don't exceed 100 meters from switch to switch/computer. With wireless, depending on what kind of construction your buildings are, the signal has trouble "going through walls". If you have a window that faces the other building, you might be able to put a wireless access point (wap) in one window and another in the other window and use them as a bridge or in bridging mode and then have a switch (or another wap) to connect wireless in that building. Every situation is unique and so without looking at it, it is hard to tell exactly what can be done. Thats why it is important to have someone locally look at it and give you recommendations, etc. (maybe even give you a drawing). Once you have a drawing or recommendation, it is easier for others to look at it and give you some options, based on what is in the documentation. (even a rough drawing with some measurements, and building construction (wood, concrete, block, etc) would make it much easier).

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service