Sorry for the cross posting (TeacherLibrarianNetwork) but I'm looking for input.
I am attending NECC in just a few short weeks. I plan to carry may laptop (since the conference center will be free wifi.) I hope to blog some of the sessions I attend (under the umbrella of AASL--if I can get my paperwork done.) Either way I'm totin' it. My carrying it presents a problem--battery life. I have been several years to this conference, and each year I'm amazed at the increase in electronic gadgets that are carried around. I'm sure finding an open outlet will be difficult during the conference, as i predict many more will be bringing their laptops too. We'll all be racing for a plug to get a quick and dirty charge. I have researched my brand (MacBookPro) and know of some battery saving settings, BUT from previous experience at other conferences this year, i know i will need a charge during the conference. Does anyone have a miracle cure for the need for battery life or a charge? Maybe NECC will have a charge lounge where you take your laptop and charging plug and sign it in for an hour and then come back to pick it up--sort of like the coat and bag check-in at various places? I am just looking for a viable solution to a pending problem I'm pretty sure I will have.

Tags: battery, laptop, life

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you might have a tough time finding someone to take responsibility for your computer, it's just too big a liability.

However, I think plugs will be easier to find than you might expect. If you are in need, check for an empty session room, they all have extension outlets set up for presenter computers under the podium --and might also have an open ethernet cable ;-)

Some days will have session gaps longer than others, and some rooms will have cancelled sessions or be simply unscheduled. No one will bother you.
Hey Jen--maybe we are onto something!! I could sign up for a room in San Antonio at the conference center, and staff it with friends or volunteers! Charge a small fee to drop off and recharge. Create a legal document that waives responsibility that could stand up, and voila--make a few $$ while at the conference.

I don't know though--I don't know if I'm willing to give up time to attend sessions or cruise the exhibits. It could be a way for ISTE to make a few bucks, or better, a nice way for a tier sponsor to offer a helpful and needed service. I remember when I presented at FETC in 2006, they had a place for presenters to store their presentation materials, and I suppose it could work the same way. It was nice to be able to bring all my stuff in, drop it off there, go back and pick it up for my session then return my boxes to be stored there safely until the day was done. I came right back to SC and made that suggestion for our presenters at our SC EdTech conference.

My laptop has a big, cumbersome shaped electrical plug too---it would possibly cover a few outlets depending on the size of the surge....But even still, remember who brought this up so i don't feel guilty getting some electrical juice in a few sessions. My badge will say Cathy Nelson from SC! look for me.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service