Weightless flight offer for middle school science and math teachers

Well, not exactly web 2.0, but wouldn't you be the coolest teacher ever if you did this?

Northrop Grumman Foundation Sponsors National Weightless Flights of Discovery, Helping Spark Student Interest in the Scientific and Technical Fields

LOS ANGELES, June 15, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) announced its foundation will sponsor the Weightless Flights of Discovery program. The program, which includes hands-on workshops and zero-gravity aircraft flights, is offered to eligible middle school math and science teachers and college students studying to become teachers. This is one of several initiatives that the Northrop Grumman Foundation sponsors in support of promoting education and student interest in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields.

The Northrop Grumman Foundation Weightless Flights of Discovery is designed to inspire students to pursue science and technical careers by first inspiring their teachers. Since being introduced in June 2006, the program has doubled in enrollment size; it now provides professional development to 480 current and future teachers. The Weightless Flights of Discovery program was created and developed by Northrop Grumman in cooperation with Zero Gravity Corporation.

"Reaching out to teachers is a great way to increase student interest in math and science," said Sandra Evers-Manly, president of the Northrop Grumman Foundation and vice president of Office of Corporate Responsibility for the company. "The Northrop Grumman Foundation is pleased to support a program that excites educators because empowered and motivated teachers who can share unique learning experiences in the classroom lead to enthusiastic and well-educated students."

Teachers selected for the program will have the opportunity to participate in a parabolic or zero-gravity aircraft flight, which creates temporary weightlessness, similar to what humans experience during space travel to the moon or Mars. The experience simulates how astronauts train for space flight. During workshops, teachers will learn about science and engineering concepts, zero gravity environments, and science and math curriculum development.

The program will conduct eight teacher workshops and 16 parabolic flights in the following cities: Baltimore, Md.; Bethpage, N.Y.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Dallas; Los Angeles; Newport News, Va.; New Orleans; and Washington, D.C.

Northrop Grumman Corporation is a $30 billion global defense and technology company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in information and services, electronics, aerospace and shipbuilding to government and commercial customers worldwide.

Northrop Grumman Corporation
(310) 201-3458
thomas.henson@ngc.com

Tags: math, science, space

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow!!! This is amazing!!!! I've missed the 2007 deadline, but I don't plan on missing the next one!!! I would love to apply for a chance to participate in this program. It would be an exciting experience for me and my students! Thanks for posting!!!
Kristen

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service