Please introduce yourself, let us know a little bit about you, and where you are from.

Tags: introduce

Views: 25858

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think I hear where you are coming form, and I agree. There are so many great applications available as tools to use in the learning process, and I am not suggesting to reinvent those wheels. Hopefully we can consider how to direct student in a way that allows them to find and use the applications that are appropriate to solve real problems, much like we do as adults in the real world, much like you and Rashmi are doing now to create the online math game. I have a question, Are any students involved in the process of creating this game? Could students learn this concept, perhaps more concretely, and have more of a real world "task" sense in their contributions?

I believe the answer to these questions is, yes.

What I would love to do it work with the two of you to see how we can get kids involved in the critical thinking and problem solving of this by collaboration and using the applications (technology) to do so.

what do you think?

Where should we side bar our conversation, and allow others to jump in?

Peace,
Hi, Anne, my name is Jason Gallic, and I'm working with Derek as we attempt to reframe the way that education is conducted and delivered. I, myself, bring a background in consulting and progressive technology thinking. But I have always had a heart for education and for the way that kids develop the skills necessary to navigate and excel in the world.

It seems to me that we ought to at least consider what it might look like to shift the current paradigm. And that means: 1) exploring the integration of technology into systems of knowledge acquisition that are tried and true; 2) re-evaluating those tried and true methods.

In the last 24 hours I've seen in blogs multiple occurences of the following sentiment shared by young high school students: "When I go to school, I have to power down." I take that to mean a variety of things. Here are two of them: 1) These students are having to back away from technolgies with which they have become "handed". In this case, "handed" means becoming so comfortable or familiar with a task that you can do it without conscious consideration. By the time we're 17, for instance, driving has become a handed activity in that we don't have to carefully consider each step -- we just know; 2) Because technology has given them such incredible access to information -- and, consequently, an improved ability to think for themselves -- these students are, essentially, having to dumb down when they walk into the classroom.

Scary. If we're not pushing them to use, for the purposes of education, the tools that occupy so much of their lives, then isn't the education process fighting against the tide of development that's swelling ever higher?
Hi Derek

What kind of topics you will be discussing here or it will be more of a virtual school.

Regards

Khushboo
http://www.inhomeacademy.com
Khushboo,

Great question! Honestly it is a work in progress stemming from a realization- Schools in general are not equiping children with the skills to be able to compete and survive in a flattening world. The questions begs to be asked..."what can education look like in order to do this?

I believe we should consider taking the current system and blowing it up to reconsider something drastically different, something desperately necessary. It is a big conversation that will challenge a lot of people, me included, but we need to have it. Care to join in the conversation?

Peace,
I agree with a lot of what you say, I've discussed the need for some huge changes a lot in this forum over the last few months . I do think technologies can be a value add in education and I agree there needs to be some major changes in today's schools. but as you plan your "new" schools don't forget content. So many times tech people get wrapped up with the tools and forget the need for rigorous, real and relevant content. I'm retiring in a year, so I'm counting on you to carry on!!
Retired in a year? Perfect, you have a year to get ready to jump in fully to the task at hand:)

Content is the medium by which the big four (critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, and technology) will be achieved. I agree with you and your concerns, and appreciate you giving CONTENT a shout out.

Funny to use the phrase "tech person" because I would not consider myself a "tech person" HAHA. I am passionate about learning and helping others become better learners.

Your post intrigues me and I would love to talk more about your perspectives and ideas. Thank you for sharing.

Speak soon
For 25 years I've taught gifted kids (K-6) so your Big Four is very familiar to me. I could add a few more. I think we've done some really powerful work, content + technology, over the years including Guardians of Freedom and our latest project CSI:Cemetery Scene Investigation. We're getting ready to study the Titanic using the original database of passengers and crew to answer some big questions like "Woman and Children first--was it true?" You can see the links to these projects as well as all the other stuff we've done and are doing here. Let me know if I can help you in the future.
Derek

I think it is important to relate your learning to the environment and also apply them to situations in real-life. This is not happening with the present curriculum. Let me take my own example, i did study "n" no. of subjects but only 10-15% of what i have learned i am actually using. This really bothers me. Why cant we enrich the content with greater applicability without ignoring the lesser important topics. Also i feel if we have to survive in the flattening world, the learning environment should be multi-faceted. This will only make the transition smooth.

Regards

Khushboo
http://www.inhomeacademy.com
Check this discussion out by clicking on the link to the right in the "by area" section that reads philosophy/pedagogy. it continues in there.

Until then, you ask the question, "Why can't we enrich the content with greater applicability without ignoring the lesser important topics?"

Great question! So let's discuss it from this point- Why do we create or even enrich content? Could we allow and direct learners in their own investigative studies, as the content is uniquely built with each step in the process to suit the learner's interests (child centered)? Could we direct and ask strategic questions to allow learners to dig deeper? Could we direct in a way where students reach into the disciplines that interest them and are much more applicable to their future?

As Anne suggested at one point, long division (or similar things) may not need to be investigated because of what you say in your last post, but also, we can get those answers if we really need them from a calculator, or pay someone in another country to find out for us.

See you in the Philosophy/pedagogy discussion group.

Peace,
Hi Louise!

I grew up in Reading, PA, but moved to Virginia as a young adult.. A cousin still in Reading, has a daugher who teaches in one of the schools. She is now a science teacher, and she has been the one to update the school web ite in past years. I would truly like to find a history discussion list on Pennsyvlania History. I am on one for Virginia and one for New York. I get the newsletter from Berks County Historical Society, and the editor can sometimes answer my questions.

I have recenttly added a Biology section to my website: http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/mrsp/science/Biology but it iis tuned more for the elementary students than to high schoolers. I am open to suggestions for additions over the coming year.
Welcome. I teach in western new york and have a learning community site. I am looking for collaborative relationships as well!

I teach 9th and 11th grade social studies! I would like to work with other subject area teachers to create materials to be shared. It would also be great to find students in other parts of the country and world to work jointly on projects relating to social problems like the environment, poverty, education, etc!

You will find much to learn here. The support of the community is great!

Sue Palmer
Sounds great!!! I teach in Akron. I grew up in Cheektowaga myself! Take a look at my site and email me at masterymaze@gmail.com and we can talk! I would suggest that we think of a general topic tied to your curriculum. If it has social implications I can tie it to my global history class and my US History class (juniors) as well. WONDERFUL!! Perhaps we could plan for something in March? or late Feb? I start reviewing for the regents in April so I would suggest we think of something which we could conclude before then. See if you can get others involved as well, and so will I.

Anyone else out there interested?

This is sooo cool.

Sue P.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service