I think I may have stumbled upon what I consider to be a dream job and a wonderful classroom 2.0 discussion.
Its a leadership and teaching post, young people (aged 13 to 18) with a employment brief that stresses the need to support appropriate IT use across the curriculum. The successful candidate will also be required to identify the appropriate uses of IT in the curriculum and support its introduction and use.

I would like to through it out to the masses to enquire what would be your focus? How would you tackle to job? What strategies would you employ?

Many thanks in advance to all / any that find the time to comment.

Tags: ICT, teaching

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kevin,

If I were given this opportunity I'd use it to teach young people to connect with information and others via the internet in a process of learing and collaboration and leadership intended to solve problems that take a long-time and many people to solve.

The concepts and habits I'd hope to teach are listed in six categories in this section of the Tutor/Mentor Connection web site: http://www.tutormentorconnection.org/TMLearningNetwork/LinksLibrary...

The categories are

Collaboration and Community Building
Concept mapping and mind mapping
Creativity, Innovation, Knowledge Management
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Marketing and Communication
Process Improvement & Evaluation Tools

Each section has links to several web sites who each provide information and link to many other web sites. As you and your students visit and discuss what these sites offer, and how this applies to problem solving, and how they can apply this to a real world class project, you'll begin to learn skills and technologies that the students can use the rest of their lives.

I apply this to innovating ways to help more and better volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs can be available to inner city youth in Chicago and other cities. My hope is that classrooms all over America might take up this cause. However, your cause could also be rebuilding the Gulf Coast following Katrina, or helping to solve some of the environmental issues that will become more important to your students as they grow up.

As you launch your teaching, I hope you'll also set up a web site to share what you're learning, so that others who are doing similar work can learn from you and your students.

Good luck to you.
Thanks Daniel, thats definetly one my weekend review list, its greatly appreciated.
Hi Kevin,
I agree with Daniel, I would hang the technology on a framework of doing something, so it looks less like "tools for tools sake." Service-learning is a great starting point. You can use technology to collaborate, communicate, plan, present, etc. There are lots of cross-curricular activities to get involved in, local to global.

Plus, you can connect it to your passions, which will set you apart from other people!
Again, Sylvia, thank you. This is the first time I have seen a post that offers such a broad opportunity to impact learning, therefore to focus that opportunity is difficult. I have read of the power by tackling very significant tasks, I suppose my thoughts turn to how to neatly dovetail these skills into a broad curriculum.
Have you ever heard of a web quest? Here's a page (http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/Links/webquests.htm) that points to a variety of explanations of what this is. It's a form of scavenger hunt, or knowledge hunt, on the Internet. If you focus on solving a problem, the first challenge is sending your students out to learn what they can about the problem. With this assignment might be having them use various web and communications technologies to share what they are learning, including setting up and leading their own web quests.

The more they learn about the program, and possible solutions, the more they can begin to use their own web quests to attract others to become learners, and to become active as volunteers, donors, leaders, etc. in solving the problem.

In this way you create a learning path, or a path of inquiry aimed at a purpose. If kids can learn this habit and these tools, they will have many opportunities for them in the future.
I have listen to, read through and watched a variety of resources. E-learning posts are now popping up here in the job market, but I am still unsure what priorities we have for our learners engaging with technology AND our expectations/priorities for supporting staff. Any thoughts?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service