Does anyone use classroom management software in their computer labs? I installed GenevaLogic Visions 6 classroom management software this year and it messed up some of my programs. It seems to be affecting saving images, and google docs?? Anyone else use it or recommend a better program?
iTALC has been designed for usage in school. Therefore it offers a lot of possibilities to teachers, such as
* see what's going on in computer-labs by using overview mode and make snapshots
* remote-control computers to support and help other people
* show a demo (either in fullscreen or in a window) - the teacher's screen is shown on all student's computers in realtime
* lock workstations for moving undivided attention to teacher
* send text-messages to students
* powering on/off and rebooting computers per remote
* remote logon and logoff and remote execution of arbitrary commands/scripts
* home-schooling - iTALC's network-technology is not restricted to a subnet and therefore students at home can join lessons via VPN-connections just by installing iTALC client
I am looking at installing this in a couple of our labs this year, and would be interested in your howto doc as well. As any additional information always makes things go better. I installed the 1.0.9 release candidate earlier this summer, but had lots of problems with it. When I installed the 1.0.8 version, everything worked great! I see now that the 1.0.9 version has been released, so I will probably try it. Has anyone else tried it yet? What version are you using?
Yes, I am now using 1.09. The final release candidate worked a lot better for me, part of my problem was probably due to only having 512MB on the master computer. With only 512MB things were pretty slow, once I increased memory to 1GB, it worked a lot better. We are using it in about 10 labs now. I never really used 1.08 long enough to have any major problems with it.
The only thing that I can think of is the capability to block the internet. That's the only feature that I saw in some of the other programs, that I thought would be nice. The ability to log into all the computers at the same time, was basically the key reason why we chose iTALC. It makes it easier for doing updates and other maintenance tasks, when you have to log into all the workstations. Also for some of the grade levels where we still use generic login accounts.
Along with iTalc, we also use Free Proxy in the labs that want to be able to control the internet. I push the settings to the specific workstations with Zenworks. So now we have all the functionality that we need. It works really well, though there is a little setup involved. You can import and export in Free Proxy, which makes it much quicker on the next install. It takes me less than 15 minutes to set up a lab with Free Proxy (a little longer if I haven't done it for awhile).