Hi All,

Here is a note I got today. It's news to me, although I've been informed that the feature has been around a while. It's potentially a significant safety issue for children.

Google has implemented a feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar, hit enter, and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map to the person's house. People should be aware of this. It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious.

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our house. I filled out the removal form for myself; you may wish to do the same.

Please look up your own number.

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: google (http://www.google.com/) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours. (Google provides you a list of other "reverse phone book" sites as well.)

Although this may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact, you may know someone who would benefit from knowing this.

Tags: phone, privacy, safety, security

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this as serious as it seems? If little Billy Smith tells you his phone number is 555-5555, all you have to do is take your phone book off the shelf, find out which Smith has the phone number 555-5555 and then you have his address. Admittedly, Google is a bit faster but it doesn't really tell you anything your couldn't find out anyway.
This is a great learning opportunity for young people...we've been showing this to our middle school students for several years. It helps them see the importance of guarding their personal information.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service