Is anyone thinking about technology going too far. I am amazed by what we can accomplish via the internet and excited too but is there ever going to come a time where we stop and think about the ramifications of technology being so integral in our lives. What ever will today's youth do in the future if they can't go on the internet?

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So kids will never need to actually go to the library since they have it at their fingertips. This isn't a realistic problem? I should as optimistic as you. I hope you are right so that I can put my worries to rest.
Read the work of Jamie McKenzie http://www.fno.org and Gary Stanger http://www.stager.org/blog/ They sometimes give a different perspective on the whole educational technology discussion.
Interesting resources. Look forward to reading more of their work.
Let me know what you think.
Yeah, it's not just social and political ramifications. Now studies are being conducted to see whether the technology is having a biological effect. For example, a lot of neuroscientists are speculating whether the way we now gather information and communicate is causing brain changes. Also, they're conducting studies to see whether the Internet has adverse effects on brain development in children.

I think the part to be concerned about is our unquestioning ease with which we are implementing technology. It's not to say we shouldn't. In order to survive and succeed, we have to be able to keep up. But if we're looking at technological progress in an incremental way, then we don't see so much what we're leaving behind. For example, with the plethora of communication technologies that exist offering convenience and efficiency, real-time, face-to-face communication could definitely become a rarity in the future.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service