I have conducted a study on teachers in the United States who are using blogging as an instructional practice. It is my intention to make this research available to as many educators as possible so that they may be encouraged to use this practice with their students. The study shows that teachers perceive a significant increase in student learning through motivation for assignments and through deeper thought processes. Students seem to enjoy the connectiveness of their work to other subjects and to each other. This collaboration encourages a deeper relationship with their peers and with the teacher. Other studies have shown these relationships produce more student learning especially in minorities and students of low socioeconomic backgrounds. It also seems that teachers see the benefits of this practice. They have increased their use of blogging year after year, which seems to show they feel blogging has great relevance as a classroom tool.

This study has been peer reviewed by professionals at the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education organization. The full paper will be published and I will be presenting the work to fellow educators in March at their International Conference in Las Vegas. I have also been asked to present the findings at the TechEd International Conference & Exposition in April in Ontario, CA.

I would like to get this study into the hands of as many educators as possible. I have attached a summary of the study to this discussion. The full study may be found at http://www.suptfelix.blogspot.com. It is my hope that this study will be useful to everyone who is proclaiming the benefits of 21st century learning. I believe this study should be made available to all Web 2.0 educators, and I encourage you to make that happen.

Tags: blogging, collaboration, constructivism, edublogging

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jeff, I've just discovered your post on Classroom 2.0 and am sorry I'm coming into the conversation so late. This is a topic I'm really interested in and would love to be able to read your entire dissertation. I noticed that the full dissertation has been removed from the site and only the summary is now available for download. Would you be willing to share it again? I'm an enthusiastic advocate for edublogging and it has become one of my primary sources for ongoing professional development and learning about the Web 2.0 world in education. The is a great need for additional research to be done in the area of edublogging so it can be presented to decision-makers in school districts as well as legislators who often control the purse-strings for technology in schools. Thanks for your fantastic contribution in this area! I hope others will continue to post about their blogs and research being explored on the topic of edublogging.
Peggy George, retired elementary principal and university teacher educator
What a great report. Thanks for sharing!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service