Add a "human" element to your website. Check out my new Voki avatar at META Web 2.0.

avatar, and then publish to your blog or website. Use your Voki avatar to introduce topics or aid with instruction for those that are better audio/visual learners.

http://voki.com

Get a Voki now!

Tags: avatar, voki

Views: 798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In an intermediate setting, students have been using VOKI to build similar characters to those in the book in which they are reading. Then their animated character verbally applies a skill such as theme, setting or cause and effect, or whatever.... Then when VOKI animates, we are presented with a 2.0 application that allows integration of appropriate skills along with some fun creative animation. Students love it.
Frank, I actually knew I was going to hear from you! I agree someone could find a good use for all the Web 2.0 tools given unlimited time with students, hopefully your ELL students use their own voices and not the type to text for clearer understanding!! I only see my kids one day a week so I make sure the tools we use enhance our learning and don't waste their time.
Nancy, you are so very clairvoyant, great skill to have. Well ... using one's own voice is the target .. but for students not yet prepared, the text-to-speech option allows them the safety to participate in a constructivist manner, letting them grow on their own terms. Remember that typing is writing and reading, then when they playback they get some modeling and listening practice .. so anyway is good. And of course, vokis don't dominate the class .. they are simply 1 activity now and then (plus they can update them out of class at home - pushing use of and exposure to language outside of the classroom is my biggest goal). Don't worry, they won't pick up a robot accent!
Helen, I have tried to embed a voki into wordpress with no success. Tried in the actual post and then set up a widget on the side bar and still did not succeed. Get the same results you did. When I am in a very patient frame of mind I will try again. However, I have seen it on other people's blogs so I will try what Nancy suggested. On wikispaces, it is really easy to embed the code and get it to work. Sometimes I get frustrated with wordpress especially as I am not competent with coding.
I was just about to try again! Thanks for your support. I will let you know if I eventually succed!
Blogger seems to me to be the most flexible, customizable, and open blog out there. If you are using the free hosted wordpress, there are more limitations than the version that you download and host on your own servers.
Judite, You have to register to get more options for characters. You have to have an email to register, they send an activation code. More than one person can be logged on to one account at the same time, but don't know if there is a limit to how many vokis can be saved on one account. After you publish you have option to email your voki or c/p the code to a blog (or wiki?) or website. Good Luck!
Judite ... I don't think your can upload characters ... you have to select from their library of images .. but you can mix and match and make adjustments with different head shapes, eyes and eye color, hair style and color, gender, animales, anime, accessories, etc. Only background and voice are uploadable as far as I know!
Thanks ... created from the Voki library! ... select the "head" icon at first and check out all the categories. See below about background images and voice! Have fun!
I use vokis with primary school students and as they are under 13 years of age, I logon to my user name so that they can create their voki. Students name it so it is unique to them. I have had 6 working at one time on my login. Therefore I already have 20 different vokis all my user account and as far as I know there is no limit. One of the benefits of this program!!
I did write some fairly basic user nformation at http://web2telegraph.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&am... but I really wanted to embed my voki so people could see it in action but I still have not been successful as I only use the basic wordpress blog.
Hi Anne,
I have succeeded in embedding the Voki in my edublogs - see http://helenotway.edublogs.org/ I copied the code for Wordpress and pasted into a text box for the side panel. (now i just need to update my message with my Voki)
Hope this works for you too.
This YouTube video was made with vokis .....

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service