Hi all,
i would like to have a go at collaborating with another class around the world sharing history and geography activities through a wiki or shared blog. I am new to this and would like to network and find out some hints on beginning and facilitating this kind of project. My students will be studying history/geography and citizenship of Australia and I would like for them to be able to share their information and research as well as learning about another country around the world from another class. How can I get this happening and is anyone interested in collaborating with me???

Please leave a comment on my page or conribute to this discussion if you can help.

Tags: Geography, History

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be interested in collaborating on some web cam/video correspondence. I'd love to Skype, but the time difference is too much. I am in Missouri, USA.

My Kindergarteners are the ones who study Australia - geography, culture, customs, etc. Would you know of anyone who would be interested in collaborating briefly, mainly in April?
I just set up my classroom wiki - http://winfieldclassroom.wikispaces.com/

I think we can talk more about how we would like to collaborate later on. I plan on having students update portions of the wiki.

How do you use your wiki in your classroom? How do you contribute and how do parents contribute?
Here is my wiki link for you to check out. I use pbwiki, so it is a little different from what you will be using, but feel free to join mine so that you can post comments if you would like.
Hi Kim, sorry it took so long to reply. I haven't used pbwiki before but your's looks really good. My wiki is still very basic and I am having trouble trying to get content and the time to update it often enough but I am starting to get the hang of it I think.
I would be happy to let you start off the collaborative wiki and create a page for the US if you like. We can then add Australia and others as they come on board. My kids will probably just add research work and examples of writing and multimedia to start off but this will be a good way for them to get other students to check out their own wikis. They will also spend some time checking out your students' work and research on the US. This seems like a logical place to start, what do you think? Later on we could perhaps work on a research project together and use the wiki to build a knowledge base.
Chris,
This sounds great. I hope that you don't mind pbwiki, but it really isn't hard to figure out. I will go ahead and create a wiki for our students to share. I agree with just starting small and building from there.

Jamie,
Can I add a page for you as well? I can create links to the different schools and post them on the home page for easy access. I am excited about our students getting to work together!
So far I haven't been able to get parents to do anything!! I have used the wiki as a way for students to access planning documents and resources, as well as showing off work. They each have their own page to maintain as well and that has a wider range of digital work on it.
Kim and Chris - sounds great! I think I'm going to use wikispaces for my class. I'll start off the same way as you, Chris. Posting important documents and resources, but then also a place to showcase student work and where they can edit the page.

But we can all use the pbwiki to share information! Just let me know the link and I'll get it set up on my end. My school is Goochland Middle School if you want to add a specific name.
I use my blog regularly: http://blogs.glnd.k12.va.us/teachers/jwinfield/

I use my blog to not only post homework, assignments, and updates...but also post student work, links to sites, and ideas for parents.
I finally got the wiki created. With school about to start in a week, things will be rather hectic at first. So when things finally get settled down, I will get in touch with you again. Hope your new school year is off to a great start!
I will work on creating a wiki site for us to share sometime during the week and get back to you with the information. I am excited about our collaboration, and I know our students will love it!
Grettings from Manosque, provence, France. I teach history, geography and civics for 6th to 8th Grades. We will be glad to share with you: usually, we use a ning social network i have created dedicated to distance collaborationsl: School Beyond the Walls , Skype, and Elluminate.

For example, last year, a video introducing our Vendée Globe project with many schools around the world:

Trouvez plus de vidéos comme celle-ci sur L'Ecole Hors les Murs - School Beyond The Walls
I am interested in knowing what you teach in your history class (in general). Even though I teach 5th grade, our curriculum is at a 6th grade level. We would be interested in some collaboration and to gain a different perspective of historical events.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service