There are a number of posts from individuals interested in using iPod Touches for teaching and Learning. At Culbreth Middle in Chapel Hill, NC we began a pilot this past August to place the iPod Touch in the hands of staff and students.

Our staff development for faculty to roll out the new technology centered on teacher coaches leading their groups in exploration through professional learning communities.

Our AVID students use the iPod Touch in the AVID classroom and in all other courses. They have piloted this program, using the iPod Touches daily for note taking, keeping individual agendas, translation for world languages, and accessing research through the Internet. In addition, our AVID students use many of the apps that teachers sync with these mobile devices. As student leaders, they’ve understood their responsibility to work and share this learning tool in collaborative groups.

This winter we were able to add iPod Touch labs for each of our seven interdisciplinary teams and two labs for our exploratory and resource teams. The interdisciplinary grade level iPod Touch labs are housed with each team and shared among the four content teachers (math, language arts, science, and social studies). These teachers plan together so that their students have access throughout each day. They access the internet as needed and use many apps as well.

Teacher current app favorites include: WordBook, Thesaurus, USA, Countries, Brain Tuner, Blanks, Whiteboard, CoinToss, Lose It!, Word Warp, FlipBook Lite. Of course they are using the included apps: Calendar, Calculator, Notes, Clock, YouTube throughout each day.

We held an iPod Touch Day last week with visitors from all over the state and from across the country. We even had a group from the UK come see our students and teachers in action with the iPod Touch. With almost 400 iPod Touches now in use at Culbreth, we’re happy to share what we’ve learned and what we’re learning.

Tags: Touches, iPod

Views: 10091

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool! We're actually writing apps as well now too to implement with our content. The entire project has been an adventure. Without question what we know for sure is that this is good for our students, highly engaging, highly motivating.
Susan,

We are piloting a 1-1 iPod Touch program with 1/2 of our 6th grade next year. We want students to be able to take them home. What type of policy do y'all have in place for that? What happens when a Touch becomes lost or stolen? Did you have any parents reluctant to allow students to be resposbile for them?

Thanks so much for your help! We are really ecited!

karen
Karen,
This year we deployed about 500 units although we did not send them home. We had students check the units out in the morning and check them back in each afternoon. We've not had loss, rather incredible! Having each iPod touch inscribed with the school name and an identifiable number on the back has been really important, Apple does this of course. We've had one dropped unit although its still working with the screen cracked at the top. Parents were reluctant in August because the devices were so new. As we move to 1 to 1 for this fall we don't expect to have the same issues to deal with as parents are much more accustomed to, and understand the use of the touches now. We're working out the details of a take-home policy now because using the apps at home even for students who may not have wireless is so desirable.
Best,
Susan
Hi everyone!

This is such an interesting discussion - especially for an NQT like me. I just saw a tweet from Julie Lindsay about a new iPhone app for teachers. Doesn't look like it's online yet but looks very cool - www.ikonstrukt.com Looks like they also have a Facebook page for the launch.
It says it is availble for download now.
Hi Susan,

For a teacher implementation, I hope you consider
GradePad, an iPhone/iPod touch performance assessment tool,
is now available at the iPhone App Store for $1.99.
You can:
Manage groups.
Create GradePad Rubrics.
Assess performance.
Track improvement.
Share data.

Best wishes,
MikePalmquist
Hi Susan,

For your 6th grade implementaiton, I hope you'll consider
GradePad, an iPhone/iPod touch assessment tool,
is now available at the iPhone App Store for $1.99.
You can:
Manage groups.
Create GradePad Rubrics.
Assess performance.
Track improvement.
Share data.

Best wishes,
MikePalmquist
I have started a site dedicated to looking at the ITouch and IPhone applications and their educational value. We would appreciate all your feedback. Please let us know what you think and how we can become an even better resource!

http://www.iear.org

Our accompanying community is: http://ieducationappsreview.ning.com/

I've joined! Thanks for sharing!
Someone sent me this interesting student produced video about the possibilities of the iPod Touch in education. http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=104980&title=...

It is interesting to see things from a student's perspective.
What a great video. He creates a very compelling argument for our iPods. Thanks for posting this!
I don't know if this has come up already but, has anyone tried a usb hub to sync/charge multiple iPods?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service