There are a number of posts from individuals interested in using iPod Touches for teaching and Learning. At Culbreth Middle in Chapel Hill, NC we began a pilot this past August to place the iPod Touch in the hands of staff and students.

Our staff development for faculty to roll out the new technology centered on teacher coaches leading their groups in exploration through professional learning communities.

Our AVID students use the iPod Touch in the AVID classroom and in all other courses. They have piloted this program, using the iPod Touches daily for note taking, keeping individual agendas, translation for world languages, and accessing research through the Internet. In addition, our AVID students use many of the apps that teachers sync with these mobile devices. As student leaders, they’ve understood their responsibility to work and share this learning tool in collaborative groups.

This winter we were able to add iPod Touch labs for each of our seven interdisciplinary teams and two labs for our exploratory and resource teams. The interdisciplinary grade level iPod Touch labs are housed with each team and shared among the four content teachers (math, language arts, science, and social studies). These teachers plan together so that their students have access throughout each day. They access the internet as needed and use many apps as well.

Teacher current app favorites include: WordBook, Thesaurus, USA, Countries, Brain Tuner, Blanks, Whiteboard, CoinToss, Lose It!, Word Warp, FlipBook Lite. Of course they are using the included apps: Calendar, Calculator, Notes, Clock, YouTube throughout each day.

We held an iPod Touch Day last week with visitors from all over the state and from across the country. We even had a group from the UK come see our students and teachers in action with the iPod Touch. With almost 400 iPod Touches now in use at Culbreth, we’re happy to share what we’ve learned and what we’re learning.

Tags: Touches, iPod

Views: 10091

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

New Mexico State University received an NSF grant and developed math lessons that integrate the iPod touch. Although the iPod is not necessary, they have apps, videos, and printables integrated with the lessons.

Check it out at www.mathsnacks.org
These math lessons are terrific! We've been using them on the iPod touch at the middle level. They're just right for this age group, engaging and on target for the math objective as identified. We'd love to see more. Check them out if you haven't had the opportunity. Your students will love them!
Does anyone have any data showing improved learning with iPod touch in the classroom? We are looking into using them with special ed classes at the middle school level but the administration wants proof that it works.
Yes, there is research, not specific to iPods, but to cell phones or mobile learning. Check out this website: http://www.mobilelearninginstitute.org/21stcenturyeducation/

I also have a research document from North Carolina which I will locate for you.
Here's the link to the pdf file of the research, Pockets of Potential, by Carly Shuler, Jan. 2009.
www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/pdf/pockets_of_potential.pdf
Susan-

Can you email me? I have a few questions about the iPod Touches with how you are implementing them. Also, what protective cases do you recommend?
My email is:
cjolley@helena.k12.mt.us

Thanks!
-Chelsie
Thanks Jim, great stuff. There are several good number sense/number line apps available Number Line by Todd Bowden, Fraction Factory by Dave Payne are two that I'm playing with right now. Simple games but allow students opportunity to work with multiple forms of numbers, ordering them, and obviously dynamic.

Thanks again to everyone.
I have just done a workshop with a group of teachers in South Australia:

http://itouchjourney.wikispaces.com Look under numeracy project. I must thank Margaret Ellis who put this one together for me as an example to show teachers what you can do with free apps!

Megan
Ps would love some feedback on this site!
Hi Elizabeth

I an very interested in using he iPod touch for creative purposes. Most educational apps are either rote learning-based, instructional games, or information.

Getting a good app that you can actually DO something with is not that easy.

For example, the Slideshow Builder app, combined with a drawing app like Brushes, and a typing app (TypeDrawing is a fun one), allows creation of great slideshows, but with one flaw: you can't share them. They are basically locked inside the iPod forever!!!

Your app, which I have just downloaded, addresses this issue by the link to a web server. That makes me very interested, and I'll be looking further into this app with enthusiasm!

Thanks for the heads up!

Deon
Deon,
One of my special services teachers found Dragon dictation software as an app to use with her special needs students. Are you familiar with this? Used it?
Best and happy 2010!
Susan
Hi Susan

I have had my children trying to use it, and it is incredibly inaccurate for them, even saying things as simple as "Hi. My name is Lucy" gets strange results.

When I use it, I can get a fair bit of sense out of it - if I use an American accent it works even better!

Also, it is only on US app store.

Please let me know how it goes for you. I have read that people have had trouble with kids' voices. Older students may be okay (my kids are 7, 9 & 10, and all girls).

Thanks for the suggestion!
Hello Elizabeth,
We installed Storykit on a class set of iPod touch in 2009, which I found through the ICDL website. I couldn't believe it was a free App. We enjoyed reading the 'books' installed with the App, especially 'Rocket' which charts the journey of an errant rocket upwards through the floors of an apartment building. The ability to create a completely new book and make use of images from the iPod touch photo gallery, a student created sketch and the ability to record sound with each page gave us a wide range of applications to our learning. I have a number of ESL students who found it particularly engaging. One wrote a story about how her grandmother had broken her leg and also included some research on how bones are healed and an X-ray of a broken bone saved from Safari. We will certainly be using it again this year, thanks for the great App.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service