I launched my 3 months in the making Alternate Reality Game today and I think I may have done it a little too well. In the middle of a video they were watching I had an image break in and type messages to me like in The Matrix. Apparently I played it well because the kids were seriously worried. I checked the locks on the door and told them it was finally happening.

I passed out the attached packets and told them they had been chosen and I could tell them no more. If anyone is interested in following along feel free to use the clues in the packets to get started.

Today went well and I sure hope this works out.

Tags: alternate, game, gaming, reality

Views: 796

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I kicked myself when I read the spoiler - did the Homer Simpson forehead slap "Doh!" move. I saw the pictures, saw the wikispaces and even tried those....
Inspired by Kevin I also launched my ARG today on my Year 9 and Year 10 students - although, admittedly with far less thought to planning than he.

I'll be writing up a blog of this shenanigans here if you are keen on such things. I can certainly say that day one was a huge success.
Cameron, I tried to leave a comment on your blog but the Captcha wasn't working. Great job on your ARG, the kids will love it. Keep us posted when you post your next clues.
Cheers Nancy - I don't know what Captcha is but I'll assume it is important. The next clue will be in two parts and will be revealed.....soon.
Cameron, Captcha is the little widgety thing that has your commenters type is some letters to post on your blog. It's the anitspam thingy!
Absolutely love it! I won't reveal too much about my ARG but feudal Japan plays a huge role before all is said and done :p
Kev, where are your students progress? Is this discussed in class or after school? Any advice on how to begin to layout/create an ARG? You seem to be a mastermind and I am trying to get one started, but really am not quite sure how to from point A to B.
The initial event happened in class. The rest is done outside of class with so far just one after school meeting. I'd like to keep as much of it happening without my direct physical input as possible. (They don't need to know I'm behind all the characters they are contacting.)

Point A I'd say is research. I've read alot about how other ARGs have worked (and certainly participating in one myself was the key point of entry) and that has given me tons of new ideas. Feel free to play along with the one I'm running now. Some of the clues happen in the real world but so far the students have been very good at posting information about those online.

I found this link after I had created most of my game but it would have helped a ton from the beginning http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2007/01/12/alternate_reality_gam...

Great info there to get you started I think.
Which ARG did you participate in? I am beginning to work my way through the ARG "Hexagon Challenge", but cannot get very far. Just wondering what ARG you worked with to help give you some ideas. Thanks for all the advice and help so far. I really appreciate it.
I played Prototype 161 (www.prototype161.com) as a live event as E for All in October. It was wonderful and I got to meet and talk with the creator a bit. Good times.
Kev, just wondering how the students are doing in your ARG? You seemed to have a large group of students interested and just wondering how things are unfolding as time has progressed. Is there a prize for the winner? Just curious. I know you have me hooked. Is the letter the students found in the library the same as in your ppt you sent me?
Anyone ever done the Mars Mission game in Houston ? I wanted to create something similar for school students to do at home in the UK via webcam links... a kind of live space science exploration adventure educational game. Never really got beyond the initial ideas. Is there anything like it out there ?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service