You need to have read thru chapter five of To Kill a Mockingbird to respond to this topic.  If you have NOT read thru chapter five, please do NOT read further (as it will spoil/give away information you haven't read yet).

• In chapter five we meet Sister Miss Maudie Atkinson.  And she is clearly trying to teach Scout something when she shares ideas like "sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of [someone like Atticus]" and "some men [are] so busy worrying about the next world, they've never learned to live in this one" (Lee 60).
  • So here is the question: What is the purpose of Miss Maudie Atkinson?  What is her role in the story so far?  Why does her character exist?  And here's another way to look at it: How would the story change--what would it lose--if Miss Maudie was NOT in the book?  (Make sure to link your answer to the "big picture" and the central ideas that this book explores.)

Tags: TKaMB

Views: 1397

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I really agree with Miss Maudie being a motherly figure to Scout and Jem because "[her] mother died when [she] was two," so they both never really has a mother's presence in their lives, which, in my opinion, is a very important thing to have while growing up, especially young girls (Lee 7). Scout said she never really felt her mothers absence (Lee 7) which is why she is more flinty and on the "boyish" side, I think. Miss Maudie provided a voice of comfort to her in times of lonliness, and as the book progresses and scout begins to grow more into a young woman, Miss Maudie's role will become more essential to the development of her character.

I disagree I don't think she is a motherly figure, I see her more as a older friend. To me Calpurnia is more of a motherly figure because she is hard on her because she cares about her but Miss Maudie treats her as a young adult. Scout even says "she had never told on us, had never played cat-and-mouse with us, she was not all interested in our private lives. she was our friend" (lee 59). Don't you think if she was a motherly figure she would have a more prominent place in their everyday lives and she would care more about the things they decide to do? I do believe scout respects her and the wise words she speaks but she doesn't have to follow through her words like she does a mother.

I believe that Miss Maudie is a person to look up to in the book because she was there when Scout needed someone by her side. I wouldn't say that Miss Maudie is a guide, I would say that she is more than that; she's a strong and supportive lady. In the book, Harper Lee states, "sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle in the hand of Atticus" (Lee 60). Clearly this means that people can sometimes take in religion as a different perspective than others. It can be taken in a way that might lead to something much more bigger and the way people can take in the bible in a negative way. If Miss Maudie was not in the book, I don't think that there would be a person in the book to lead Jem or Scout through the way of how they are put in the position of their neighborhood. They wouldn't have the kind of "motherly" support if Miss Maudie wasn't in the book.

I believe Miss Maudie's character is a type of foil to some of the craziness that takes place in the novel To Kill a Mocking Bird. She is the voice of reason and in many ways and I feel that she expresses the opinions of the author, Harper Lee, herself. Maudie is a woman of integrity and is always available to impart some wisdom to Scout and Jem. For example, when Jem complains that his dad can't really do anything cool, she tells Jem that his father (Atticus) can do plenty of things, such as write an air-tight contract or legal document. Also, when Ms. Maudie spent time outdoors in her garden for herself, the town folks grew furious " ...and told me me and my flowers were going to hell...They thought i spent too much time in God's outdoors and not enough time inside the house reading the Bible" (Lee 44). She explains to Scout that some people don't like anything that gives another person pleasure. Maudie has a wonderful sense of humor, but her humorous comments are also commentaries on the weaknesses of the other characters or of the people in the town. Ms. Maudie provides the voice of reason, maturity, and most of all she is wise. She has a motherly influence over the children, has a great sense of humor, and provides much needed guidance

The purpose of Miss Maudie Atkinson in the book 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is to be an adult role model that Scott could look up too. As Author Harper Lee writes "I spent most of the remaining twilights that summer sitting with Miss Maudie Atkinson on her front porch" (Lee 42). What this shows is that Scott spent most of his free time with her because he felt close to her. Also Scott trusted her enough that he stayed alone with her.

But what about Atticus and Calpernia? Atticus is also trusted by Scout, but she does hang out with him as much as she does Miss Maudie. For example, after  Scout and her family finishes supper " Atticus sat down with the paper and called, "Scout, ready to read?" (Lee 29). This quote helps show how Atticus likes to spend quality time with Scout the old fashioned way, by reading. And also Calpernia! She plays a major role in discipline which shows that she's a good role model behavior wise. Without her, the story would miss that sense of control over the boys (and girls) in the family. Miss Maudie is just an extra character that provides that comfort like your family does when you look at old baby pictures. Explain more what you mean by how she is a role model. How is she a role model to scout when he has Jem or Atticus?

Miss Maudie is a widow neighbor that becomes friends with Scout. She explains the story of Boo Radley. She says that most of the rumors are false. Jem has trust in Miss Maudie and makes Scout feel comfortable with her words. I believe Miss Maudie's role in the book is important. She is giving them stories from a different point of view. Jem and Scout know strange stories of Radley Place. Miss Maudie told Scout that he is alive and that Boo was a victim of his deceased father.

If Miss Maudie was not in the book scout would not have a friend to talk to after Jem and Dill left her.She is the voice of reason. She gives wisdom to Jem and Scout. When Jem and Scout have a question about Radley she is there to let them know not to believe rumors. She has a great sense of humor but keeps it real. Scout believes that Radley is scary. She helped the children become aware of another side of Boo. 

I agree with you because she tells them who Boo really is and that most of the accusations about him are false. She shows another side of him and helps them learn that he's not that scary and that if she wasn't in the book then Jem and Dill would still have a bad understanding of Boo

I don't think Miss Maudie "helped the children become aware of another side of Boo." like you said, Motive Sulaiman because Jem didn't change his actions around Boo and he wasn't aware of the other side of Boo. Same with Scout, and Miss Maudie didn't say much about Boo, she was thinking more of the bigger picture and of course, had a huge affect on Scout's thoughts, but the person that actually made Scout "aware" of Boo was mostly her father, Atticus. His advice led Scout to the path that she did not notice before, since her father is considered her "role model" as you can say. But I know why you thought of that, Motive Sulaiman so you're not wrong!!! My opinion!! :)

*Numia Alward!

Miss Maudie is a person to follow get advice from. She became friends with scout, more then friends. Scout starts to look up to Miss Maudie. She tells the story of boo radley to scout and tell scout that not always rumors are true. Miss Maudie is being looked up by Jem and scout and has their trust. And Miss Maudie is really needed in the book and a very important character in the book. She tells them stories and without her scout has no one to look up too. And how would they get advices or her point of view of somethingg if she is not there.

I definitely agree with you Muffler Faris. I think too that Miss Maudie is very important because she is a character that is there for the main character -Scout- when they needed advice. Also, she is an important friend to Scout and Jem. Even though she is way older than them and not related, she tells them stories and helps them when they need help. More importantly is that Scout admires and looks up to her. This all shows that she is someone who is there for Scout. For example, when Scout got left out from Jem and Dill's conversations and their game, she went to Miss Maudie and talked to her about a lot of stuff. Also, Miss Maudie was teaching Scout stuff about life and religion. For instance, Miss Maudie was teaching Scout about "extreme" Baptists and stated,"but sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle in the hand of - oh, of your father[Atticus]"(Lee60). From this evidence we can see that Miss Maudie is telling Scout that actually living life can be better than just staying indoors. Furthermore, this conversation shows that there is a purpose for why Miss Maudie exists. Thus, Miss Maudie is an important character and the story would change I'd she wasn't in it.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service