Topic 1: Why does Atticus allow his children to call him Atticus? What does this say about him?

Topic 1: Why does Atticus allow his children to call him Atticus?  What does this say about him?

Tags: TKaMB

Views: 6051

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Let me point out this, Scout and Jem do get treated differently because their Atticus's children, and oh gosh is it clear. When Dolphus Raymond sits with colored folk, its a sin and he's a horrible and despicable man. But when Scout and Jem go to the black church, and when they sit with the black its "bonding", and oh...I don't know...peachy, beautiful, expected. As Dill said soon after Jem descripted Mr. Raymond "He doesn't look like trash", Dill (sighing laugh)... what a card you are (Lee 161). Its like the community its self, and even not knowing Maycomb too well some one such as Dill knows everyone has their sides, and everyone is split, and something has to be messed up for them not to know. But when it comes to the Finches, the rule doesn't seem to exist, oh no no no! And when the Scout and Jem go to the colored folks, does Dill or anyone else question... no, didn't think so. You see when the Finches are around, the red carpet is put out, and all trust is given. They are threated so much more differently than every other human being in Maycomb. And for what? Since Atticus is a men that can be pushed around as a lawyer? A man with mysteries that won't share with his own children? So now lets ask ourselves, are the Finches threated differently... the thing is...they are, and there is no question about that.       

I disagree with you because the Finches get treated the same way as any other person in Maycomb, Especially Dolphus Raymond. You're saying that the Finches get special treatment but their the most ones that get judged because of their fathers job and who he helps-- the people of color who are hated by the white people which is really similar to someone that's also in the book; Dolphins Raymond, he lives with the people of color and gets judged for it. Atticus basically does the same thing except he helps the people of color and also gets surmised for it. Atticus not only risks his life while helping Tom Robinson who is black and got accused to raping a girl, he also risks his kids life as well because they get judged by their fathers actions. The Finches don't even get good treatment from their own family, so how would other people treat them special? As Scout was talking to her cousin Francis, he tells her that her father is a disgrace to the family, "If Uncle Atticus lets you run around with stray dogs, that's his own business, like Grandma says, so it ain't your fault. I guess it ain't your fault if Uncle Atticus is a nigger-lover besides, but I'm here to tell you it certainly does mortify the rest of the family" (Lee 83) here one can see that even family members of the Finches treat Atticus badley because of what he does, and blame everything the kids do on him for not "teaching them right" because of him helping someone who is simply different than they are. Even their family members don't understand why Atticus helps Tom Robinson and they conjecture him. So please, if even family can't stick with Atticus and his children, how are they getting special treatment?

Sekaakwa, i disagree with you because when the Finches are around, no red carpet is pulled out. A carpet of mere dislike and hatred against actions is. Your saying that when the idea of " Scout Finch's daddy (defends) niggers" (Lee 97), everyone is all happy about it? That is a strong NO. The Finches are treated differently by most of the town because of their father Atticus who defends negroes. Of course when Scout and Jem go to the negroes during the court they will be treated highly because they're father is helping one of their fellow friends, but you can't just then assume that everyone likes Jem and Scout. To illuminate this point further, here is an excerpt from the book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, " This time we aren't fighting the Yankees, we're fighting our friends. But remember this, no matter how bitter things get, they're still our friends and this is still our home" (Lee 99). This further proves my point that even they're FRIENDS treat them differently but Atticus still tells them to keep their heads high for that is still their home at the end of the day. If the red carpet were pulled out for them, then why would their own friends go against them? In Summation, the Finches get treated differently in a negative due to their father defending negroes and their lifestyle.

I agree with you because Atticus believes that all people should be treated equally no matter who they are or what they've done which is why he became a lawyer. Furthermore, Atticus chose to be a lawyer because they are required to fight for anyone regardless of their race, religion, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status which means that they have to see everyone as equal and so he wants Jem and Scout to call him by his first name because they are equal to him. In chapter 20 of "To Kill a Mockingbird", Atticus says, "But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal---there is one human institution that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockefeller, the stupid man the equal of an Einstein, and the ignorant man the equal of any college president. That institution, gentlemen, is a court."(Lee 205). From the evidence, one can conclude that Atticus defends all people equally in spite of what job they have or how educated they are and he also wants his children to behave the same way towards anyone. Thus, Atticus allows his children to call him by his name because he wants them to know that he is just as equal to them as everyone else in Maycomb County.     

Atticus allows his children to call him by his first name to allow them to be able to see each other as equals. To clarify more, by allowing his children to call him 'Atticus' allows them to talk in more comfort. They'll be able to talk to each other like friends. Usually friends and people of the same generation call each other by the first name--without any seniority. To explain, children are able to talk to other children using their first names, however, they are not allowed to talk to adults that way. Students are allowed to talk to other students using their first name, but cannot call their teachers by their first names. By allowing Scout and Jem to call him by his first name, it shows that Atticus does not treat anyone differently based on how old they are or what they look like. When Atticus talks to Jem and Scout, he talks to them as if he is talking to any other adult. He doesn't try to change his words because he is talking to children. If they need help understanding something, he'll clarify. However, Atticus doesn't try to hide the ugly truth behind what he says. I think that in Atticus's point of view, being called by his first name allows him to be on the same level as the children. If people are on the same level, they can be questioned. To illuminate this point further, think about children and adults. Children tend to believe whatever their parents say or what adults say is always right and should not be questioned. On the other hand, parents believe that children are too young to understand what is going on around the world. Atticus is different, and maybe that is why Aunt Alexandra scolds him for the way he raises his kids. He knows that not everything adults say is right. Atticus goes beyond the labels of seniority and how people look. Event though it may look like a tiny gesture, by allowing the children to call him as a friend he allows them to be seen equal to him. Atticus views everyone as any other human being. In chapter 5 of To Kill A Mockingbird, Scout goes to talk to Miss Maudie because Jem and DIll weren't playing with her. While talking Miss Maudie says that "Atticus Finch is the same in his house as he is on public streets" (Lee 61). Not only does this show that Atticus has nothing to hide, but it also shows that he treats everyone the same and acts the same way anywhere he goes. This quote and allowing Jem and Scout to call him Atticus shows that Atticus has integrity. Whether being here or in the public, Atticus always seems to do the right thing even if no one is watching. This is also proven when he defends Tom Robinson. He went past the fact that Tom has a different skin color and continued to defend him because its the right thing. If he had not allowed Scout and Jem to call him by his first name, I think that would contradict all his beliefs and actions he has done thus far. He showed integrity by treating everyone as equals and doing the same to anyone whether its at home or in public. In conclusion, the children are allowed to call Atticus by his first name and not 'dad' because this shows that Atticus stays true to what he believes in and treats everyone on the same level he would treat any other stranger.

Atticus allows his children to call him by his name because he wants to be their friend and a role model for them. This shows that Atticus really cares about his children. Atticus wants to be a mentor for his children. In addition, Atticus wants his kids to grow up and be like him or better. And he doesn't want to be someone his kids fear he wants to be their friend. In the book to kill a Mockingbird Atticus tells Heck Tate "before Jem looks at anyone else he looks at me, and I've tried to live so I can look squarely back at him" (Lee366). This evidence shows that Atticus wants to be a role model for Jem so that Jem could learn from him. Also it shows that Atticus wants to be a mentor for his kids and become their friend because when he looks back at them he wants them to be a better person than he was. All in all, Atticus let his kids call him by his name because it is a way of him becoming a mentor for his children. And becoming a role model for his kids to look up to.

I agree with you about Atticus being like a role model to Scout and Jem. Atticus has had his moments when he was more "father like", but that is also what friends do most of the time. They want the best out of each other, which is why Jem started to tell Scout what's right. Jem and Scout see black people like they see any other person and without a doubt--it was because of Atticus. Even Scout sees Jem similar to Atticus, in To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, as she says "Jem shook his head. As Atticus's fists went to his hips, so did Jem's, and as they faced each other I could see little resemblance between them… but they were somehow alike. Mutual defiance made them alike."(Lee 152). This evidence shows that Jem doesn't just obey any one older (his father) and is making his own decisions. Also, no one would defy their own dad, but Jem did because he doesn't see his father as someone with more authority--but as an equal. Therefore, I also believe Atticus is someone to look up to as a friend and even a mentor.

I agree with both Cloud and Smilie,because i think Atticus is a mentor and a roll model to not only his own children but the whole county it's self.I people in Maycomb all (majority) look up to Atticus because he's a good role modal,he's always chill when things are tough,and he's always positive and sees good in people which makes people look up to him especially his children scout and Jem. In the book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Scout the narrator was explaining how they were telling Atticus to carry a gun with him.Because of Bob Ewell's death threat to Atticus;because Atticus had said the truth about him in the court about what he did to his own daughter."we asked him to borrow one.We did, and he said,Nonsense"(Lee,217).You can see this shows that Atticus is trying to show Jem and Scout that now matter what stay calm and positive.And Atticus is trying to show Scout and Jem that now matter what always have your integrity on and never lose it no matter what situation you are in.All in all, Atticus is a great roll model because he has the best integrity in Maycomb. What do you guys think does Maycomb really look up to Atticus or do they just like to respect him.

But Smilie you have to understand something, Atticus is mainly not there for his children. I mean look at the evidence, Calpurnia has a family she's not with to babysit children that aren't hers, and don't forget Aunt Alexandra, a new addition to their house hold, more or less their new nanny. So when Atticus tells Heck Tate "I've tried to live so I can squarely back [Jem up]" he's honesty lying, and not doing a too good job at that (Lee 366). A role model is someone you can study, appreciate, and look up to, thing is, if you don't have an opportunity to even meet/see that person what value do they give to you. Of course a father typical works late and has no real time to be with their children, but I mean Atticus is there he spends his time away from his children when he is home reading a newspaper or with someone else. And on top of that he has so many secrets. To be honest, the most he does for them , is tell folly quotes, and read, with to remind you Scout got in trouble for by an educator, part 1of To Kill a Mockingbird. So is he really a  good role model? I mean their are many more people in Maycomb that could be a role model for these children, but instead they pick the only one that's not there.      

Although I do agree that Atticus is not always there physically for Jem and Scout however I don't agree that he is not as good a role model as anybody else in Maycomb. First of all, Atticus is always there when the kids have questions or they need help understanding something. In multiple parts of the book he shows affection for his kids. Whenever the kids need advice they go to Atticus. Its fair to say that in some issues they depend on Atticus.. Jem and Scout can't go to just anybody, they always tend to go to Atticus--even more than Maudie. Have you ever though to as why they always go to Atticus. Its because they view him out of all of Maycomb as their role model. Atticus is a man of integrity, he is a lawyer that does the right thing no matter the consequence, as in the case of Tom Robinson. Jem, specifically, sees a lot of things in Atticus that he wants for himself. He views him as a gentlemen and at one point wanted to become a lawyer just like him. As the book progresses, you see how Jem and Scout develop and begin to see how unique Atticus is. I don't understand why that one scene in the end defines his whole character because he supposedly went against his words. One of the things Atticus said was that killing a mockingbird was a sin. If Scout were to tell the truth then she would ultimately have killed Arthur Radley, who we know by now is a mockingbird. That one scene is making everyone forget of all the other good deeds he has done throughout the book. Atticus is truly a man to be proud of. After the Tom Robinson case, Miss Maudie invited Jem and Scout for cake and tells them that  “... there are some men in the world who were born to do our unpleasant jobs for us. Your father’s one of them....We’re so rarely called upon to be Christians, but when we are we’ve got men like Atticus to go for us,” (Lee 288). This shows how hard Atticus's job is. Even if everyone talks about him and things like that , she says that he is a dependable man that everyone can count on to do the right thing. I think that lying is necessary for some things if the intention was good.  What some people might think is right is wrong for others. In conclusion, Jem and Scout look up to Atticus and he is as good a role model as anyone in Maycomb is.

Sekaakwa, I completely disagree with you. Just because someone is not there physically, doesn't mean their morals don't live on. For example, Martin Luther King Jr, he is a very known man for he led the blacks to having more freedom. He is not here today alive physically right? But, in every history class he is mentioned and is taught because the ideals he had lived on. Atticus always exposed the children to his many wonderful ideals, and sometimes they puzzled them, but most likely that was Atticus's intention so they can think about the deeper meaning of what he is trying to teach them. To further explain my point, here is an excerpt from the book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, " You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view-- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it" (Lee 41). This shows one of the morals Atticus is trying to teach his children. Just because Atticus is not there doesn't mean the children won't implement it in their daily lives. To prove that point, here is another excerpt from the book To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, " Atticus was right. One time he sad you never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them. Just standing on the Radley porch was enough" (Lee 353). This proves that, in the end of the book when Scout was standing on the Raldey porch by herself seeing how the Radley's perceived everything of the neighborhood, she remembered the words Atticus told her and he was NOT present with her. Scout finally was empathic for the Radley's after wanting to know more about why they were like that which s=was her thought process during the whole book. Mind you this 2nd piece of evidence was many years later after Scout had matured more, but the idea he presented to her was so enlightening that is stuck with her even when Atticus was not there to remind her of it. This also shows how she finally had put the idea into play and implemented it when the event had come for her to experience the true meaning of his moral. In summation, a role model does NOT have to be there in person for someone to remember the morals and implement them into their daily lives.

I completely agree with you. It's just like what I was saying. Although Atticus isn't always there for the children, he has an impactful presence. In the cases where he gives advice it is remembered throughout the book because the advice he gives is very influential. In general, Atticus is a very unique person. When Atticus starts to speak everyone listens to the end. This is proven when Miss Maudie tells Jem and Scout that "[Atticus is] the only man in these parts who can keep a jury out so long..." (Lee 289). This was in reference to the Tom Robinson case. It is known that the jury is biased and that Atticus won,t win. However, Atticus kept them on the edge of their seats. Because of how he defended and what he said, the jury took a longer time to make a decision. They usually take minutes, but in this case it took hours. This shows that Atticus's words make a heavy impact even if he is not present.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service