Essays by one of America's best writers. Just plain good writing. White wrote for the New Yorker, among other magazines. This collection was published in 1942. My favorite essays from this collection are "Once More to the Lake," "Memorandum," and "Salt Water Farm."
None of these essays have anything to do with Web 2.0, but they're beautiful and timeless.
E.B. White is my favorite writer, favorite of all. Not for his kids' books, which are good, but for his essays, which are great. These essays are like musical compositions about everyday life, about animals, nature, and people who are stewards of the earth.

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

OK, I'll chase him up. One of my all time favourites for style, and content is Gilbert Highet - one of his collections is People, Places and Books - a collection of radio essays, and simply delightful. A 'heavy' work is his The Classical Tradition - a study of the epics, from Homer to Dante. Difficult, but delightful.
Two more great wordsmiths and I'll stop. Ursula K LeGuin - read anything of hers. And Frederick Buechner - a preacher - who'll surprise you with style and unnerving thought links.
Web 2.0 - no. Mind stretching and enriching - yes. Which is more important?

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service