We are reading and discussing page 3-13. Please post comments here.

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

I agree Kara I was mad at the parent's comments thinking that parents always assume the worst. I know that they are just looking out for the best interest of their child but it is hard not to take offense sometimes. The part about incorporating more creativity would be awesome, it's just going to take a new mindset for us. Change is good but it doesn't always come easy. I'll need you guys to help keep me accountable!
As I read the introduction, I too became a little defensive and nervous at the thought of "doing it all". Of course we all want to be able to provide all the creativity that we can and it does get muddled by the checklists and business of our day to day curriculum, etc.

One thing I tried to do is reflect about my reaction to the introduction and I realized that I am a product of the education that has stifled learners throughout their school careers. I learned at school that if I am quiet and reserved, that I won't get called on, in turn, not think as deeply as I could. I also learned that most of the questions asked were recalling facts so if I was wrong sometimes I wouldn't want to share anymore. It was rare that anyone's thoughts or opinions were shared or valued. I was a good student: studied, worked hard on projects, wanting to be noticed. Even in a small school in southeast Iowa it was easy to fly under the radar.

Well, enough about me! I think what I want to make sure to keep at the forefront of my mind about the habitudes is that I want more for my students as thinkers, learners, and citizens in my class as well as for their lifetime. Kindergartners have that natural "habitude" being inside of them so my goal is to brighten that light just a little bit more! (at least not stifle it) I think that we model some of these attitudes without really explicitly teaching them so it won't really feel like adding something to my plate. It will be great to have some focus for actually teaching the kids about the habitudes and making them aware of themselves as learners...

Habitudes: here we come!!
Amy, good call about your own school experience. I was in the exact same boat. Study, memorize, pass the test, and forget everything that I had crammed in there once the test was over. It does make you want to learn from the past and not make those same mistakes again.

I also like your comment about incorporating the habitudes into things we already do. We do a better job then we often give ourselves credit for. It will just be a shift to making it intentional and teaching the vocabulary to back it up. I think students are going to love the new words and extra challenges. They will rise to the expectations we set for them, I always question it but they never cease to amaze me! --Stephany
Sorry I'm a slow participant. I should have bought the book during class! I promise to get caught up quickly.

I had to laugh at myself when I read the comments about checklists dominating our education system. I am so guilty of that! I thrive on checklists and getting things accomplished. Unfortunately I am that teacher she described who focuses so much on what they have to get done that I often forget to give students an opportunity to create and explore on their own. I know I can't cut the checklists all together but it is going to be a goal of mine to let go of control and let the students lead me in their learning.

Maybe one of my favorite parts about the intro is the fact that it's clearly stated that teaching that habitudes is not another thing to add to your plate. I don't know if I can handle anything else right now! A few phrases that I want to remember are "BE critical, BE creative, Be strategic, and Do their own thinking." (pg. 9)

I'm a little worried about teaching some of the habitudes using kindergarten language and experiences but hopefully together we can figure it out! I need habitude 6: Adaptability--using changes as a growth opportunity! :)

Can't wait to hear more!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service