My high school teachers all have Windows laptops and all machines in their building are either windows or linux. I just got word that Maine DOE is distributing MacBooks to these teachers in the Fall. Sounds good, right? My first impression. However, after contemplation on how to "in-service" them to transfer their skills to another platform, it dawned on me they will have different programs than their students. Many of these folks are just emergent users of technology and I have worked my buns off getting them to the present comfortable position. Integration was just becoming more commonplace at the end of last year. Comments and insights are appreciated.

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

I may be wrong, but it sounds like a lack of communication between IT and ED Tech/Curriculum/Administration. We have had issues like this before because the different sides didn't coordinate with each other...ever. Now we have some schools with MACs some with PCs, and some with both. Even though my classroom has all PCs, the "teacher" computer doesn't have the same programs as the student computers.

I've been pushing the concept of ed tech integration for several years and am about to start my first year with (elementary) site tech integration mentor as part of my daily job. I have to say I cringed when reading your post and can relate to working with non/emergent users of technology. There are those in our district (thankfully not my site) who are adamant that they won't read email and won't use the new online report card..ugh!!!

I'm sure you've done this, but my first step (after maybe a cocktail to calm down) would be to figure out which programs can be accessed on both platforms. Any steps you can take to show similarities between old and new will be useful. I've also noticed that if the situation is spoken about as being a big problem or stressful, than the tech-phobic will freak out and make it into an even bigger problem. If the situation is treated as something that is annoying but can be handled over time, then the freak-out factor is much smaller. The key point for us in situations like this has been to make sure the adminstration is on board with the idea of staying calm...not oblivious, but calm. If the staff is calm, they may also be better able to help you argue for the funding needed to obtain Mac licenses for the programs you need.

Good luck!
Thanks Adina,
Interestingly enough, your comments are exactly what we have planned. I hope to "push" the use of Web 2.0 tools, online apps., moodle etc. We will work to "overcome" the issue of teacher laptops not 'looking' the same as the students. It is going to take a lot of in-service! I am also working to begin licensing the programs that they use extensively on the original platform. Where are you located?
I imagine your task will be a bit like working with our younger elementary kids in way. You may be saying a lot of "I understand you are feeling ______________, but this is what is going to happen/what we need to do."

I'm at the opposite end of the country from you in San Marcos, CA (north San Diego County). I'm hoping that with our new ET/IT director, we won't run into any more situations like this ourselves.

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service