I work for a software company that is starting to deliver some of our professional development remotely/virtually. Has anyone gone through this kind of PD? Are there certain kinds of PD that lend themselves better to remote delivery than others? What's your general attitude towards remote/virtual PD?

Tags: PD, learning, online, remote, virtual

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

I think remote/virtual pd can work if it is very precisely tuned to the work experience of the educator/learner. You can build it but they won't come unless the content is relevant and the UI is simple and works flawlessly. There has to be humans to relate to, minimally mentors or instructors who the students can connect with online, even better, a human instructor or guide who can meet face-to-face.
My school subscribes to Atomic Learning ( http://movies.atomiclearning.com/k12/home ) and I am partly responsible for staff technology PD. I think this has been very useful as far as teachers learning what they need when they need it. It has proven especially useful in helping with the newly introduced Smart Boards (Notebook Software) at the school. Although this might not be a full blown staff development remote delivery SD modules, I feel that it really helps.

Another VERY successful online PD opportunity currently taking place here is the Harvard Graduate School of Education's "Teaching for Understanding with New Technologies" http://wideworld.gse.harvard.edu/overview/courses/integration.cfm
I am involved in a regional professional development initiative with Will Richardson and Sheryl Nussbaum Beach. There are two face to face sessions, a handful of sessions in Elluminate, and a NING that keeps us connected and engaged in our learning. I am enjoying the number of resources available to us in NING, the connectivity that is growing between all of us, and the capacity that I have to learn when my schedules allows...
Sounds like an interesting initiative, Angela. Where/how can I learn more about it?
Hi.

My school district has adpoted Moodle. I'm a school psychologist, and we are responsible for providing a variety of workshops for teachers. I think this will help support teachers, since they will be able to access resources and materials on-line, well after a traditional face-to-face workshop has vanished from memory.
I'm planning a series of ongoing professional development to take place over the upcoming school year. I need to decide what tool to use for participants to collaborate online between the face-to-face sessions.

Right now I'm leaning toward Moodle and/or Ning, though I'm open to other possibilities. Based on your experiences with Moodle, Ning, and Elluminate, what do you recommend?
What sort of system do you use for your video conferencing? Many of our schools are involved in book studies, but the book studies are held at each school, and the book studies are over several months. Have you used video-conferencing for this sort of thing?
Are any of you familiar with edu 2.0 as a online course management tool, especially as compared to Moodle? Thanks for your input!

RSS

Win at School

Commercial Policy

If you are representing a commercial entity, please see the specific guidelines on your participation.

Badge

Loading…

Follow

Awards:

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service